Mag-Drive 12 is it a good one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my big project is done < upgrade from 90 to 125>.You can see my thread on " Saltwater Reef Aquaria" forum. But as you know there's always something... In the future I will change my sump to 40gal. with refugium. But before that I want to change my external pump witch is Gen-X 40 < 1190gal/h> to submersible Mag 12 <1200 gal/h>. Reason? Noise. I leave in split level house < four levels>. Some people say thouse pumps are quiet. With stand doors closed I can still hear hmmmmm sound on three levels of my house.I get used to it for 3 years but decided to give a shot and put Mag in my sump< I think pump works in water must be less noise than one outside water>. I have a chiller so I don't care if it heats a water more. I'm so happy with my new 125. That is the last thing it bothers me. So what you think about Mag Drive 12 pump???? Please let me know. Thanks!!!!!!

i would not go from an external pump to a submersible. find a quiet external pump. check into reeflo pumps. i used to have a dart on a closed loop that was totally silent. i had to put my hand in front of the locline to check if it was on.
your theory about submersible pumps is incorrect.

I run a mag 12 and a mag 9.5 as my return pumps and I really like their performance. They are quiet and run better than the Rio`s I used to run.

I run two mag 12's and a mag 9.5 unless they are sucking air, you hear NOTHING.

I agree with Mr X, Reeflo pumps are very nice units. I personally dislike Mag's because I always seem to have impeller problems down the road even with regular maintenance, but if you have to go submersible try Quite One pumps (my fave).

I agree with Mr X, Reeflo pumps are very nice units. I personally dislike Mag's because I always seem to have impeller problems down the road even with regular maintenance, but if you have to go submersible try Quite One pumps (my fave).
quiet one are better than mags IME. i've had many danner mag drives fail shortly out of warranty.

Thanks everybody. Now I'm really confused. And what You guys think about Eheim 1262 brand. But it is only 900 gal/h. My friend told me this is silent pump.

Just finished my own saga with Mag 12 vs. QuietOne pumps, so I'll offer my two cents.

Mag 12 is slightly quieter, but both are very quiet.

You'll almost certainly have impeller problems eventually with a Mag 12, but if you're comfortable with impeller/cover replacement and tweaking it, I think they are more cost-effective than the QuietOnes. Impellers are very cheap to replace compared to an entire pump.

I would also say Mag 12 is more reliable than QuietOne.

Thanks guys. I wiil probbably settle for Mag12. But what you guys think off Water Blaster 5000, 1373g/h with only 60w. draw of energy or Tunzie Silent? Thanks.

Buy and always keep an extra impeller also. Not that I've had frequent problems with my Mag 12, but if it ever goes out, which they can, it's good to have one handy ASAP since that is powering your main return.

I have a Mag 12 on my 140 and have never had any issues. My tank runs silently. The only thing I hear is my protein skimmer, but even that is silent when I have my cabinet doors closed.

Wow. I have had a lot of different mag pumps, from mag3 all the way up to mag36, all of them are still running and as well as they were the day I got them. I find them to be excellent efficient pumps and will be using them on my new setup. I've run Gen-X, Dart and quiet one pumps and have had issues with all of them leaking. I would rather have a submersible pump than an external. Mag pumps are great and you will be happy with them.

I've honestly never had an issue with any Quiet One pump. At work we run Mag's commercially and I would rather opt for a more reliable pump. Impeller issues are the main concern, but I've had quiet a few strip the inner chamber where the impeller assembly is located, thus forcing a new purchase. I've never ran actual tests, but having run a Quiet One side by side with a Mag, the QO ran cooler and quieter. Mags are strong pumps, I've just never had any luck with them so I have a bias. Eheims are another solid Brand, very reliable, but very expensive and don't seem to push alot of water compared to other Brands. Just my .03 : p

Back
Top Bottom