Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

This was the answer back from my brother. He's being doing pottery for over a decade now. Perhaps someone at the pottery club has attempted similar? 1.5cm is slightly over half inch.

-----------
Hi,
This was forwarded to me as I'm a hobby potter. Will it work? In my non professional unqualified position, probably not. To make it water proof you will need to glaze it all over, ask the art club for a vitreous clay body and a clear stoneware glaze that doesn't craze. I think a single slab of clay of those dimensions is gonna warp and buckle when dried. And, will it even fit into the kiln to be fired? Dunno. Instead, make 3 sections, each 8" x 19" x 5". Dividing it into 4 sections would be better. I guess approximately 1.5cm thick slabs of clay would do. Look up slab building pottery techniques for how to build this.
This is gonna be a lot of work.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
This was the answer back from my brother. He's being doing pottery for over a decade now. Perhaps someone at the pottery club has attempted similar? 1.5cm is slightly over half inch.

-----------
Hi,
This was forwarded to me as I'm a hobby potter. Will it work? In my non professional unqualified position, probably not. To make it water proof you will need to glaze it all over, ask the art club for a vitreous clay body and a clear stoneware glaze that doesn't craze. I think a single slab of clay of those dimensions is gonna warp and buckle when dried. And, will it even fit into the kiln to be fired? Dunno. Instead, make 3 sections, each 8" x 19" x 5". Dividing it into 4 sections would be better. I guess approximately 1.5cm thick slabs of clay would do. Look up slab building pottery techniques for how to build this.
This is gonna be a lot of work.
Uh, first of all, what do you mean by "glaze it all over"? Do you mean I have to glaze the inside too? Also, what exactly is "a glaze that doesn't craze"? I am planning to make individual slabs of clay and then connect them with aquarium silicone after they are done firing. Will that work? I know how to build potteries and the art club I'm in have a very big kiln. You are right about them buckling when they are drying because of gravity, but if I separate the slabs when I dry them will it work?

Old 09-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #13
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWormy View Post
Uh, first of all, what do you mean by "glaze it all over"? Do you mean I have to glaze the inside too? Also, what exactly is "a glaze that doesn't craze"? I am planning to make individual slabs of clay and then connect them with aquarium silicone after they are done firing. Will that work? I know how to build potteries and the art club I'm in have a very big kiln. You are right about them buckling when they are drying because of gravity, but if I separate the slabs when I dry them will it work?

Ok, so below the dashed line in my reply was the answer back from my brother. I sent your first post to him and then copied his answer to that in.

Crazing I thought it best to look up in case it is an Australian word. Link below.

Reading his reply, to me all over would include the inside as well.

Would you like me to send your post onto him for a reply?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazing
Old 09-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #14

Thanks for the link! I don't think that the glaze I have will craze. Could you please send my post to your brother and see if he answer? I'll be really grateful. I want to build the individual slabs and stick them together with silicone after they are fired. I THINK that it will stick, since silicone work on tiles and stuff, but I am not sure.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Lol - I was thinking it might of been some weird Australian term. Or we're just behind the times here.

Absolutely, I'll send to him.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #16

Thanks! Appreciate it!
Old 09-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #17
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sent on. Waiting, waiting.....
Old 09-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #18

Any news yet?
Old 09-28-2014, 06:20 AM   #19
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi, sorry for the delay. Been flying over to see my sister and now out in the sticks with terrible connection.

All I got back was:

---------
'Just tell them to think about glass, perspex. The way they are going about it most likely won't work.'
Old 09-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

The glass needed to build that, would only need to be 1/4" thick. I certainly wouldn't trust silicone to hold together 5 pieces of glazed clay. I would check around glass shops for scrap or salvage glass.

Tags
clay, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com