Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just got off the phone with Petco and they are NOT taking them back here. Told me they were directed to tell people to contact marineland. Guess I'll weed through this post theres bound to be a link somewhere.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #82
Sliced Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Enigma View Post
Hmm, I wonder why I'd get the recall notice then? I'm assuming Big Al's Online knew what heater I purchased.... I'll double check when I get home but I'm almost 100% positive there is no light on the heater (can't imagine I've missed it all this time).
Big Als sent me that email as well, and I've not purchased anything from them in years. I assume that they just sent it to their entire userbase.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
In case the light is burned out, or you can't see it (it's not very bright), the heater control knob on the Stealth PROs are clear. The heater control knob on the regular Stealth's is solid red.
Thanks Kurt! That's exactly what I needed to see. My heater is covered in beard algae but I can definitely tell that the knob is solid red. Glad to hear I don't need to deal with a recall.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:16 AM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Just got off the phone with Petco and they are NOT taking them back here. Told me they were directed to tell people to contact marineland. Guess I'll weed through this post theres bound to be a link somewhere.

Some Petco's are, probably not all. You can try PetSmart or just Marineland. Go to google and type in "marineland," the website should be the first link.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:16 AM   #85
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

We recently bought a Marineland Visi-pro and the darn thing never shut off and barely kept the tank even warm, went to 2 diffrent shops. 1st shop- Where do you live and is it unplugged? I'm suprised it hasn't exploded yet. Scared me enough I bought another brand new one and rushed home. No mention of any recall of any sort. 2nd- shop was telling him about my adventure in heater land, he did actually ask what kind and told me about the recall. I'm $60 into 2 brand new heaters this one seems to shut off and doesn't fluctuate. Think it's okay? I've never used submersiables always used the above ones, my confidence in them was shakey to begin with now I'm scared it's gonna burn the house down.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #86
Aquarium Advice Freak

What are you supposed to do - leave your tank unheated while you go argue with some ignorant clerk at PetSmart??

(Please understand that I don't mean ignorant as "stupid", but truly that they would likely have no knowledge of this recall)
Old 03-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #87
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That's the funny part we went to Pet Smart because our normal pet store is an hour away, and they told us that this was normal (being on all the time)! because it was 100 watt in a 30 tall. I read up on it and did find out that it was about a 25 watts under what it should be, I refused to buy one from them because they told me it was normal. That's when we went to 2 other pet stores and this began.
I've had fish before for years and I told them I was not familiar with submersiables, I feel like I was takin' for a ride I did not buy the heater from where I got the origanal, because of this. It's possiable when we bought the tank it was an honest mistake, but the only one that told me about the recall was our normal store an hour away. It privately owned place that won't sell you fish unless you take a sample of water in.
Where I bought the new heater is also privately owned place, he told me he actually had one explode in one of his tanks but I don't think he knew about the recall, because I would think he would have told me not to buy it, having tanks himself and recommended something else.
I know what are people supposed to do leave the tank unheated, or pray it doesn't explode?
Recall or whatever their calling it, product may not be up to standards. The consumer has a right to know especially dealing with live animals and the possiability of damage to your home, if you don't have a good pet store or on here someone would never know.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:36 AM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can wrap your tank up in towels while you take the trip to the store. You can even call ahead. I asked the people at PetSmart on the phone and when I went to buy dog food, they both confirmed it for me.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The heater cannot drop below your house temp. If your house is above 70 I really wouldn't worry! The other day I forgot to turn a heater on at all and when I remembered the temp was 82 even without a heater, and that's because my lids fit so well.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:22 AM   #90

petsmart sent me recall notices. they where unaware when i showed them, but quickly gave me 2 fluval m series(cost a little more than the stealth pros) for free, no probs, real probs anyway..lol

Tags
alert, eat, eater, heater, led, marineland, stealth, stealth pro

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com