Marineland Heater Alert- Stealth and Stealth Pro's Recalled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had my stealth Pro heater since the fall and I haven't had any problems with it. Should I still take it back? I think I bought it from Petco as well.

aralls92 said:
I have had my stealth Pro heater since the fall and I haven't had any problems with it. Should I still take it back? I think I bought it from Petco as well.

Well- the recall covers ALL o them because it is a big enough problem/risk. According to the recall info, there have been fires, blown aquariums, and personal injury.

So- ignore the recall at your own risk (folly?)

Ok- I'm looking for updates. Anyone actually received a check or replacement heater from Marineland?

According to tracking info, they got my Stealth Pro back just over 3 weeks ago, but still no check.

This thread dead? Has anyone received a refund? Called the other day and they said "your check is in the mail". The amount seems disappointing at just over $24. And this is including the over $8 we had to pay to send the heater in to them (after FedEx failed to even try to pick up the box). Seems the StelthPro was somewhere North of $24 when purchased and I used it for just over 3 months...

My local Petco finally put a notice up a few days ago about the recall. 2 weeks ago they were still selling them at a 50%(?) discount and I wondered if anybody was still buying them :p.

Maybe I should give Petco a call, I have 4 of them, but they are 50w, 100w and 250w. From what I read the other day, only the 50w is included in the recall. Anyone heard anything different?

ALL Marineland Stealth and Stealth Pro heaters are included (except maybe that tiny low-watt one that I still see on shelves of even the businesses with the recall info posted on the the shelf).

It is against Federal Law to sell or attempt to sell items under an official recall!!! In fact, I read somewhere that consumers who find recalled product for sale should contact the Consumer Product Safety Administration!

Here is the CPSC recall notice. I just called PetSmart, and they said they would give me a store credit, then I called Petco and they said they hadn't heard anything about it.

Attachments

• marineland.jpg
    marineland.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 162
dkpate said:
Here is the CPSC recall notice. I just called PetSmart, and they said they would give me a store credit, then I called Petco and they said they hadn't heard anything about it.

You local PetCo rep is lying and/or just ignored the notices they DID receive.

I just sent an email to Petco, but I guess it goes to corporate or whatever. They just said to check with your local Petco! Geez, thanks alot.

I know last year before the recall I had trouble with a Stealth that I bought from Petco, had the packaging, receipt and everything, but since it was after 30 days or whatever, I had to send it back to Marineland. Thankfully I had a spare at home, because it took about a month before I received a replacement. And what did they replace it with, you may ask? Yep, a Stealth PRO!

I haven't seen any notices at my local Petco that I noticed, but the last time I was there, I forgot to ask about returning my heaters to them. I would rather do that than mail them out to Marineland, even though I can just use my postage meter at work and not pay for it. I don't want to wait. I want immediate gratification, dang it!

In the last two months, I have been in 3 petsmarts and 4 Petco stores in two states- and all have had the same Marineland Stealth/StealthPro recall sticker clearly posted in the heater section. The sticker is approximately 8.5 x 5.5 inches.

Good for you! Maybe I should do the same and see what happens? As I said, I haven't actually spoken to anyone at my local Petco in person, so I should probably do that and be "armed" when I do!

Marineland mailed me a letter with the recall on it and danged if I can find the thing! I'll have to print out the one from on here as well.

Most of the heaters that I have are those glass Visitherms or Aqueons. As has been mentioned, not terribly accurate, but my Stealths weren't either! Always a few degrees in one direction or the other. One of my Stealths kept it too hot and I had another one that shocked me! It was weird. It wasn't really a shock per se, but when I had it in a tank and put my hand in the tank to do a pwc, I felt like a strong tingling on my arm. AT first I thought it was me because I have nerve problems in my arms and they do tingle, but not like that! Very strange, but very lucky that it didn't seem to affect the fish. But of course I took it out anyway.

WOW! I'm still waiting for my check from Marineland, but from what it sounds like- they are not paying folks anything near what most people paid for them.

About 3 weeks ago I read thus recall posting, called marineland and they said they would either refund or replace. I wanted a replacement, so they asked me if a visatherm replacement would work for me and I told them that would be fine. They said they would ship it to me along with a pickup order on my stealth. Very nice person and easy procedure. Two weeks later hadn't seen anything so called them back. They apologized said my heater got back ordered and was due to ship in two days. 3 days later got nrlew heater but no pickup slip for mine.

When I called, I wasn't given a choice, nor was I told how much the refund would be. When FedEx dropped the ball, Marineland rep said to just mail the heater and include a copy of the receipt and they would add that amount to the refund.

Still no check (been a week since I called and they said it was "in the mail". The amount I was told in would be for was less than the cost of it originally (not even mentioning postage to ship the old one).

Back
Top Bottom