MH bulb burnt out or too hot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Had an interesting thing happen earlier today.. one of my Metal halide bulbs just turned itself off.. all the switches were still on. I'm guessing this means its burnt out? Sounds like a dumb question LOL... but I was just curious, since I know these bubls get pretty hot, if its something they do.. doubt it, but thought crossed my mind. I've had these lights for about 6 months, but have only used the MHs for a few weeks. I got it used, but was only told they were in use 2 months before.. which is why I was curious as well. Thanks for answering my crazy / dumb question LOL ;)

ive also heard of ballast problems.. how else besides replacing the bulb do Iknow if its something else?

I've yet to figure out how to change the bumbs on my aqualight pro yet though .. havnet had to replace them yet.. i'm guessing unscrew the one side?

I just changed my lights from compact fluorescents to MHs last night. As the MH fixture is used I was surprised that they MHs shut down on there own. Power switches on Etc. This morning they both came on after tightening the bulbs a little more (E39 mogul base). I also added a small fan in the area of the ballasts.

As your system has HQI bulbs you could try switching bulbs to see if it's the bulb or the ballasts. It could be in the connections at the bulb or else where. You do know not to touch the bulb as the oils on your fingers will cause the bulb to fail. I use a paper towel.

Thanks for the help. I'm just wondering if it got too hot. I tried switching it on again after a while, and it turned back on. Stange indeed. At least it works again!

Back
Top Bottom