Move from seachem prime to seachem safe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phishfriend

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all,
We all know this isn't the cheapest hobby to have. So I just thought I would share what I think is going to save me a bit of cash.

I'v used "safe" by seachem years ago. Until they introduced prime in the market and switched over.

After some cost comparing I'm going back to safe. Why? Safe is the same thing as prime in a dry form. Less expensive in the long run. I'm adding a link so you can check it out for yourselves.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Safe.html

Tech Support CH

Re: Safe vs. Prime
Safe is the powdered form of Prime. The only difference is that Prime has water and a stabilizer in it. The chemicals that dechlorinate the water naturally precipitate out the heavy metals and biologically stimulate the fish to produce more slime. We don't add any harsh amine based polymers to irritate the fish into producing a slime coat like some other brands.

Any dechlorinator that removes chloramine really breaks it down to its basic components (thus removing it). The chlorine is then changed to chloride which is nontoxic to the fish. The ammonia is changed to a ammoniacal substance that is nontoxic to the fish but is still biologically available to the bacteria to consume. Prime (or Safe) only holds it as a ammoniacal substance for 24 hours after that it is free to turn to ammonia or ammonium. Ammonium is also non toxic to the fish. How much toxic ammonia you have depends on your pH. Our Ammonia Alert detects minute amounts of free ammonia and alerts you to its presence so that you can bind it up with a product like Prime, Safe, or Amguard. You can see the Ammonia Alert on the following link: http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/AmmoniaAlert.html

Most test kits for ammonia read total ammonia (NH3 and NH4). This is both the toxic ammonia and the nontoxic ammonium. They will also read the nontoxic ammoniacal substance. The best testfor toxic ammonia is the Ammonia Alert listed above. A chlorine test will not read chloride ions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom