Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2008, 02:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Nano Skimmer

So I have a 12 gal tank that i will be building a sump for. right not looking at approximatly 16wide x 20long x 12 tall. Should bring my total water volume around 25 gal or so maybe a little less. I want to put a skimmer in there since dispite religious weekly water changes, ruduced feeding all that stuff i am still having a problem keeping my nitrates where i want them.

I can do an in sump or a HOB. I can build the sump around the foot print of the skimmer as long as it isn't to far from the dimensions listed. There are a couple companies that make "nano skimmer" but most of them look like a joke and if i'm going to spend the money on a skimmer i want it to work well. the sump is 12 tall but i have more room so the skimmer can stick out the top.

I searched the general hardware but didn't find any previous threads that really applied to me. most were much bigger tanks. I don't know a whole lot about skimmers so I need help finding one that will work well and isn't huge overkill for my tank. Most of the popular choices (ASM, euroreef, octupus) only make skimmers that are rated for at least double my water volume if not more. Suggestions?

Old 05-05-2008, 03:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Skyrmir Send a message via AIM to Skyrmir
A skimmer rated for twice your water volume would be just about right actually. The only worry about too large of a skimmer is creating a vortex of doom from the output. Since you're building a sump, that's where you'll want to put the skimmer anyway. negating any problems from excess current.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok. Any suggestions for a good skimmer that would be about the right size for my tank?
Old 05-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Skyrmir Send a message via AIM to Skyrmir
That's an area of some debate around here.
This place
Aquarium Protein Skimmers for Saltwater Aquariums at AquariumGuys.com
has some nano skimmers, but I have no idea how effective they are. I know how they work and could build one, but I haven't had the chance to try a lot of them.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

On that link i found a mini G series skimmer by ASM. I've heard ASM makes good skimmers. anyone used this particular skimmer?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Tunze Nano skimmer

I had a Tunze Nano skimmer in the past on my 29 gallon reef tank. The only things I could complain about is the initial cost, and that it took up space in the tank and also took up space on top for my hood. It works great and is silent. I use it now on a 55 gallon and dont plan on upgrading. My tank consist of live rock and live sand, 1 percula, 1 yellow tang, 1 firefish, 1 yellowtailed damsel, 1 goldenheaded sleeper gobie, 1 banded coral shrimp, 1 emerald crab, 1 large condy anemone, numerous ricordia and yuma mushrooms, numerous zoas, medium chili coral, large bunch of cabbage corals, a 2 1/2 inch tridacna clam, goniopora coral, flowerpot coral, green star polops, and some featherdusters. I think the Tunze is worth the price they ask for.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Tunze is a good brand and you have been lucky with that skimmer. I have read many posts on other boards about people having all kinds of problems with it. For power heads Tunze is the best. Skimmers eh...

The ASM series of skimmers is designed after the Euro-Reef, they use cheaper materials but they still perform well enough. For the money I would get the ASM Mini-G

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nano, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com