need a hand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevin1775

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i plan on building a 500 gallon ply tank when i get home from overseas and i'm having a hard time finding filter and heater. im wanting to keep everything out of the tank if i can. i could also use some help picking out the rest of the equipment i need to get this tank running. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks in advance

Whether it's SW or FW I'd suggest a sump for a tank that big and maybe an inline heater along with a big heater in the tank at the opposite end of the filter/sump inlet.

Oh and scuba gear :D.

i forgot to put that in there it's gonna be fw. can u elaborate on what ur talking about it's been about 5yrs since i have had a tank of any kind and it was only a 29 gallon that i just threw together. this time around im gonna do it right so i have been researching everything i can but i always take first hand knowledge over something i read. maybe some links to what ur talking about also if ur up to it. thanks

i forgot to put that in there it's gonna be fw. can u elaborate on what ur talking about it's been about 5yrs since i have had a tank of any kind and it was only a 29 gallon that i just threw together. this time around im gonna do it right so i have been researching everything i can but i always take first hand knowledge over something i read. maybe some links to what ur talking about also if ur up to it. thanks

I ca"t say that it's first hand knowledge, it's the size of the tank I'm considering and the filtration needed on something that large is going to need a ton of it IMO. Just the amount and cost of commercial canisters I image needed would be huge and the maintenance on multiple filter units boggles my mind lol.

If you google "aquarium sump" you'll find all kinds of references, mainly for SW but I've seen them discussed in FW systems too, some of which are much smaller DT than what you're envisioning. Here's a couple links I found on a quick search:

Freshwater Aquarium Sump

What is an Aquarium Sump and Do You Need One? | Learn Freshwater Aquariums

I'll be watching for your build thread, that's for sure :D.

Back
Top Bottom