Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2011, 12:59 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

When everything is open and full speed, my sump gets drained quickly, so I begin adjusting from there and even if I move the ball valve the slightest bit, I cannot get it to stay at the same level

Old 07-30-2011, 02:48 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

so you're saying your sump empties too fast meaning youre return pump is out powering your overflow. So just lower the pumps return power and you should be fine. I do not understand what you mean stay at the same level though because the display tanks water will always just remain at whatever the level the overflow is at. You don't need it to stay at the same level I think because as long as your return pump is under the level of your overflow, you should be fine.

And if you want to keep your return pump on full power, add another overflow pipe or add another outlet on your existing one to increase the flow.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis View Post
Well is your overflow draining too fast or is your return pump too strong? If draining too fast then get a stronger pump if the other one then maybe add another ova outlet to drain the water?
the overflow rate is only governed by the pump rate,what you have failed to mention is the pump must be matched to the overflow gph rate,or you will have trouble and noise.if your overflow can handle 600gph then the pumps rate after headloss must be slightly lower at lets say 550gph,if you dont match this it will be nand the flowrate going through the overflow will not be strong enough to force any air bubbles around the pipes and so a collection of air bubbles means air break and flood.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

arf? im lost sorry but yeah listen to david it seems like he knows what he's doing

Tags
flow, overflow, pvc, pvc overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com