New Fish Tank Coffe Table from AquaVim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoothop

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone i am new to this forum and new to keeping an aquarium in general. I needed some help and advise. So we just ordered a fish tank coffee table from aquavim and it looks amazing. I went down to the local aquarium store to discuss the type of fish i can put, and the man there told me that the filter that the aquarium came built in with would not be able to handle saltwater.

I contacted AquaVim and they told me the Filtration is a combination of close-loop under-gravel system and power head driven mechanical filters. Is this ok for saltwater?

heres a pic as of now.

http://s7.postimage.org/macdvph6j/2013_01_07_23_12_04.jpg

I would have to say no. The problem with it having an under gravel filter is the nitrates that could build up and pose a big threat. Also there isn't anywhere to put a protein skimmer or any additional equipment that may be needed.

Edit

Also welcome to AA :)

+1 in Not making it saltwater. You won't be able to fit a skimmer, powerheads or good lighting. Also, you'd probably not like the salt creep on the glass.

And also: welcome to aa

Not good for saltwater, nonetheless this still be a great aquarium. Get some cichlids and rock scape, this would be the center piece and attention grabber of any party. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the advice everyone. ok ya ill go with freshwater then. the tank actually has led lighting all around and has everything necessary pre equipted. we wanted to get a very colorful tropical look. what fish do you guys think would work with that?

Welcome to AA!
What are the dimensions of the tank? Coffee table aquariums are usually quite short so the best fish are thinner bodied fish and fish that prefer the bottom area of the tank. Just some off the top of my head are dwarf cichlids, smaller tetras like neons, rasboras, cories, kuhli loaches, bristlenose pleco, shrimp, snail, etc.

39"L x 39"W x 21"H

i like the tetras and chichlids, but some of the other fish look too dull in color.

If I'm doing my math correct that means its 138g? That's huge!

Just remember that fish at the LFS will be very dull. They will be stressed out causing their colors to fade.

Have a look at harlequin rasboras. They are my favorite. They get a nice red color. IMO red phantom, cardinal, rummynose, von rio, ember, flame, glowlight, lemon and serpae tetras all have great coloring. There are fish like platys, mollies and guppies also. If you stock accordingly then you could have a betta or a dwarf gourami. Rainbow fish are quite nice also. A small species maybe ok. There are black as well as striped kuhli loaches and cories come in many different colors, even green. There are some very stunning types of shrimp out there also.

Best advise I can give is to do lots of research. Have a look online and at your local fish shops and write down the kinds you like. Then you can research them and ask here on AA. Community tanks are fun to stock but you just have to make sure everyone is going to get along.

Last edited:
As under gravel filters are a thing of the past I would keep the stocking levels very low

I can see why the table uses it

You could go with African or mbana cichlids as they are very colourful and as close to salt water as you will get from FW

The only problem with the above mentioned fish is you need to pack them in to make it work and I'm not sure if the under gravel filter will be able to cope with such high stock levels

I know the table is large with a lot of gals but I would keep the stock levels to a level of about half of what you would normally keep in a tank that size

The table tanks do look very cool but I'm not sure how easy they are to maintain ie water changes feeding and basic care

Good luck and happy fish keeping

Back
Top Bottom