new life spectrum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
doogle said:
what is this stuff , what are the ingredients? some people are swearing by it but wont say what is in it? anyone tell me about this?

I use their Thera-A and my fish love it. Garlic is a key ingredent.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

posted at 5:31pm in response to your question...

Typical Ingredients: Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal, Algae Meal, Soybean Isolate, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic, Vegetable and Fruit Extract (Spinach, Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Pea, Red and Green Cabbage, Apple, Apricot, Mango, Kiwi, Papaya, Peach, Pear), Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal-Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine, DL Alphatocophero ( E ), Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Niacin, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Stable C), Ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Choline Chloride.

Garlic contains allicin which has been shown scientifically to be able to kill parasites (primary scientific research by actual scientists, not theoretical claims by hobbyists). In studies it actively killed parasites within minutes.

I wrote an article on this exact subject that is published in the April 2011 issue of Aquarium Fish International Magazine.

NLS has proven to be the best food for many animals under my care over and over again. It does sound like hype, but it is all true, which makes it all that much better of a food. The ingredients are no secret, and garlic is part of all of their foods, but there is more of it in the Thera+A varieties. This means that any of the foods are more likely to be taken by more fish, sooner.

When I was running a fish shop I fed it exclusively. I had almost no problems getting fish to eat (including arowanas, bichirs, stingrays, etc.). They also colored up better and faster, grew faster, and were healthier. This is in comparison to other stores I worked in where the fish were not fed NLS. I had gold barbs, goldfish, shrimp, galaxy rasboras, crayfish, many cichlids, discus, and others breeding in the sales tanks. I also had the fewest deaths of any shop I have worked in.

From talking to people, trying foods, etc. few foods come close to what NLS can do. I recommend anyone try it, feed it exclusively, and see what it can do for your fish.

Fishguy2727 said:
Garlic contains allicin which has been shown scientifically to be able to kill parasites (primary scientific research by actual scientists, not theoretical claims by hobbyists). In studies it actively killed parasites within minutes.

I wrote an article on this exact subject that is published in the April 2011 issue of Aquarium Fish International Magazine.

NLS has proven to be the best food for many animals under my care over and over again. It does sound like hype, but it is all true, which makes it all that much better of a food. The ingredients are no secret, and garlic is part of all of their foods, but there is more of it in the Thera+A varieties. This means that any of the foods are more likely to be taken by more fish, sooner.

When I was running a fish shop I fed it exclusively. I had almost no problems getting fish to eat (including arowanas, bichirs, stingrays, etc.). They also colored up better and faster, grew faster, and were healthier. This is in comparison to other stores I worked in where the fish were not fed NLS. I had gold barbs, goldfish, shrimp, galaxy rasboras, crayfish, many cichlids, discus, and others breeding in the sales tanks. I also had the fewest deaths of any shop I have worked in.

From talking to people, trying foods, etc. few foods come close to what NLS can do. I recommend anyone try it, feed it exclusively, and see what it can do for your fish.

+1

I feed my fish a variety of foods on a random basis, is that bad? I figure every mfg has a different recipe and like us, the same thing (ingredents) everyday isn't good for them. It's all HQ food too, no cheap stuff.

thank you mfdrookie516. that was elaborate, and exactly what i was hoping to get. not bad stuff, lots of good stuff, a little more meal in it than i thought. but it has lots of natural ingredients, hopefully low in ash...but does look better than alot of fish food out there! i love feeding my fish a great variety, and as much as i dont want to give them to much, they love eating frozen bloodworms, and i love the feedin' frenzy, im addicted to watching them....my fish get zucchini, romaine, spinich, seaweed, spiralina, veggie and meaty pellets, kelp flake, tropical flake( lots of omega one varieties)...emerald entree, brine shrimp(hatched and frozen), frozen and freeze dried bloodworms....so i prefer to mix it up on them so they dont eat one thing, you know?
* nuisance snails and mussel(*puffer fish)...sure im forgetting something...

With NLS the meals are the whole animals, not the scraps after being stripped of meat for human consumption like most other pet foods.

I would feed NLS exclusively, you will get better results that way. Variety is not a necessity from a nutritional point of view. What is important is a complete and balanced diet, which is hard to find. Variety is the usual method of getting to this main goal though. And in a way a proper food will be exactly that, a variety of foods (ingredients) mixed together to create an ideal diet. If you read through all the info on NLS's site there is some good information (but some liberty with some of the claims IMO). If you take the best food out there (whether it is NLS or not) and mix in other good foods that are not as good the overall diet is not as good.

I would be extremely surprised if you cut out the variety and fed NLS exclusively and didn't see an improvement somehow.

Fishguy2727 said:
With NLS the meals are the whole animals, not the scraps after being stripped of meat for human consumption like most other pet foods.

I would feed NLS exclusively, you will get better results that way. Variety is not a necessity from a nutritional point of view. What is important is a complete and balanced diet, which is hard to find. Variety is the usual method of getting to this main goal though. And in a way a proper food will be exactly that, a variety of foods (ingredients) mixed together to create an ideal diet. If you read through all the info on NLS's site there is some good information (but some liberty with some of the claims IMO). If you take the best food out there (whether it is NLS or not) and mix in other good foods that are not as good the overall diet is not as good.

I would be extremely surprised if you cut out the variety and fed NLS exclusively and didn't see an improvement somehow.

I'll try it for sure. What do you think of Seachem's "Entice"?

The only two garlics I have found to truly be effective for killing parasites are fresh garlic and NLS's Thera+A.

If you are just wanting to flavor it though (for getting things to start eating foods they don't usually) I first suggest NLS Thera+A, and then almost any of the garlic additives should be fine. I haven't used Seachem's from what I remember.

I agree 100%. My fish get NLS exclusively. Excellent points made.

The only fish I couldn't get to eat was the BGK. But every other fish does and loves it.

i wouldnt want cereal everyday

It's a good thing you don't rely on someone to feed you ;)

Thera A. It comes in different sizes. 0.5 mm is for small fish, 1 mm is for small fish, 2 mm is for medium fish and 3 mm is for big fish. For a community tank, 0.5 or 1 mm would be fine.

There shouldn't ever be rotting food in the tank. Maybe you should get some snails.

You must have a PERFECT tank. Not the case, flake is the only thing i find in my cichlid tank and it is very little(excrement is always swept into filters), I take care of my issues, with a gravel vac. Lately I have added more rock and its more difficult to clean so I am taking more caution into what goes in my tank and wont get eaten. There will be no snails or anything else going into that tank, because I think it is perfect. Nitrates are nearing 20ppm, time for a little waterchange...i have pictures of my cichlid tank in my albums.

I feed my cichlids exclusively NLS 1mm and they love it. If it gets to the bottom of the tank, even the plecos and clown loaches eat it.

Back
Top Bottom