Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

New MH light.

I was in a conversation the other day on this forum and was told that a 70w MH light would be better than my 130w PC for several different reasons. Now my question is now that I have purchased $330 worth of lights, why does the MH seem to be alot dimmer than the PC. Was it worth the $190 for the 70W MH, because tank observation is now at a minimum? Dark shadows, light only in the middle of the tank etc. I have a 29 gallon tank with a huge stack of LR some lps and sps also. Any ideas?

Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

[QUOTE=ThrowedToad;1051595] ...Now my question is now that I have purchased $330 worth of lights, why does the MH seem to be alot dimmer than the PC. Was it worth the $190 for the 70W MH, because tank observation is now at a minimum? Dark shadows, light only in the middle of the tank etc.

Well first, I'm not at all familiar with your tank and what you had/have but here's a few things to think about. If I'm reading this right and assuming your new light is working properly, you have gone from a 130w PC to a 70w MH which cuts your light output roughly in half. 130 watts v/s 70 watts. It seems dimmer because it is dimmer. Your old PC was a fluorescent type which puts out a softer, more bathing light and your MH a lot sharper, more directional light. This is why you get sharp shadows. And a lot more of that cool shimmering effect to so... maybe it's not so bad? Ummm, they're just totally different kinds of lights. Hope that helps.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree, and i do like the new light(shimmering and all), I am just trying to make sure that my tank is getting the proper benificial lighting that it deserves.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

After a discussion with my wife I have came to a interesting conclusion. I percieve light alot differently than anything under the water does, and it in turn will take time for me to adjust to different light spectrum and intensity because I am a mere human. I never thought of sharp VS. dull. I would rather cut a steak with a small sharp knife than a dull large one even though the dull large one looks like it would cut better. I thank my wife (which is not an aquarium enthusiast) and to brad s. above to quickly open my mentally covered eyes.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. jk Id never thought about it that way either...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

If your light is only in the middle of the tank, Try raising the MH. It'll spread the light out.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh good, a happy ending. I love happy endings.

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com