Noisey overflow...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mykpoz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I have my 75g set up, and I have been messing with the overflow for 2 days now, trying to tweak it to find the quietest arrangment I can find.

my overflow is much like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...y=46310&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

It has 2 1" drains that empty to the sump below, the set of tubing is roughly 3-4 feet and dumps into the compartment with the LR rubble.

I currently have a Mag18 with @10feet of head going through 3/4" tubing. The papers for the pump say the minimum hose size for maximum flow is an inside diameter of 1 1/2" so I am assuming to get the best pressure, i should get a 3/4" to 1 1/2" adapter, then step it back down to 3/4" to go out the ball sockets i have on the end? I am asking this because I am thinking the problem might be the overflow is draining too fast... so I woulde need to pump more water into teh tank... I suppose I can set up a mag9.5 that I have laying around to see if the increased flow will help..

Over then what I mentioned about increased return gph, does anyone have any suggestions to get this thing quieter? Currently it makes a constant noise of someone trying to finish off a milkshake with a straw but MUCH MUCH louder.

TIA

what you can do is. the plastic screen under the foam. drill a whole just small enought for plastic air hose directly on top. the stick air hose in each one, hand the the end off to the side so it sucks up air.and she will lose the sucking sound

you mean a air hose just inserted into the pipes leading from the overflow into the sump?

yes stick about 6" of hose in the actual pipe, then the air will have a clear whole and will not be affected by the air, it comes standard on the cpr overflows

hmmm mine isnt a dump every so often and the airhose didnt work.

The only way i could get it to quiet down is to install some ball valves on the ends of the overflow lines so that i can keep a small pool of water at the end of the line

DSC05585%20%28Small%29.JPG

I used a couple drinking straws in mine... worked like a charm. I figured its fine till I find something better. I tried the air line method but it didnt work as well.

Back
Top Bottom