Noisy sump drain line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyssa54

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I recently purchased a used 90 gallon aquarium. I had it in storage for a few months and I'm trying to remember how everything in the sump system fits together again. When hooking up the sump pump I found the water intake constantly fills with air and is rather noisy. I tried adjusting the pump rate but regardless of the rate the problem persists. I assume the air is coming from the the holes in the piping of the overflow. I've attached a video below of the set up, any help/advice is appreciated!!

Sump Drain Problem on Vimeo

The video shows the intake that has three small holes and an intake covered by an a grate. Water is just flowing through the holes, so I'm not sure what the larger grated intake is for.

Thanks,
Alyssa

Hello,
I recently purchased a used 90 gallon aquarium. I had it in storage for a few months and I'm trying to remember how everything in the sump system fits together again. When hooking up the sump pump I found the water intake constantly fills with air and is rather noisy. I tried adjusting the pump rate but regardless of the rate the problem persists. I assume the air is coming from the the holes in the piping of the overflow. I've attached a video below of the set up, any help/advice is appreciated!!

Sump Drain Problem on Vimeo

The video shows the intake that has three small holes and an intake covered by an a grate. Water is just flowing through the holes, so I'm not sure what the larger grated intake is for.

Thanks,
Alyssa
Ours did this too. It sounded like a toilet flishing alllllll the time:banghead:. We went about it the way some people say you should not:whistle:. We put a ball valve in to control the flow. Before that, we made a U trap out of the hose that we had to create back pressure. I will flush the ball valve once a week to make sure it does not get too cruddy.:fish2:

Hey,
Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if they're are any other ideas on how to fix it. I live in an apartment and the idea of using a ball valve kind of scares me ( I would prefer to not come home to an overflowing aquarium and angry neighbors :D. I honestly feel like an adjustment needs to be made somewhere, i just dont know where. When I originally procured the aquarium it was running quietly. Help!!:(

The dump hole in the over flow can have something put in it to change the over all size of the hole or what not. I just put a fitting in there to allow the water to build up and flow in a little different, never effected anything at all. Some people put a filter bag on the end which is good but when it fills up with crud and if its really tight it can be just like a plug and not allow the water to go through the setup. Mine makes a little noise but not too much best advice I have depending on your sump setup have a flex hose and make it so it bends from strait down to strait accross the bottom of the sump tank, this has been an easy way to make it quiet.

Back
Top Bottom