O Ring woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coursair

Aquarium Advice Addict
I’m running a Fluval 403 Canister Filter. Canisters have always intimidated me a bit. I have years of experience with HOBs.

Finally decided my 403 needed a thorough cleaning. I’m running an AC on the same tank, so I’m hoping my cycle will be fine.

I took everything apart, kept one big pad dirty. Rinsed everything else. Put it all back together.

The filter has no suction.
I pulled it apart. Found the O Ring inside the filter.
Reset. No suction. Put the O Ring back.
Arggghh

I’m told to try Vaseline. I’ll be saving up for a new Canister at some point. This one works great, but it’s a pain to Prime and a pain to get the O Ring to seat properly.

IMG_5319.jpg
This is my 55g that uses my Fluval

Last edited by a moderator:
How long have you had it? The o rings need changing every once in a while.

I’ve heard mixed results with the vaseline. Some say it makes it impossible to seal when adding it.

Having said that I’ve only ever had the 206 and 106.

I always keep a spare o ring around. I kill them when not reassembling the canister right. I use aquaphor to lube them.

I tried the Vaseline and made no difference on a leaking canister. Maybe I needed to use it before it started leaking lol.

Pool filter is leaking at o-ring so wondering if I should of used it when I packed it away over winter to stop the rubber drying out.

Hate cleaning canister filters. Great when they work. A total pain when some little bit goes wrong.

As my cichlids grow the more I feel the need for additional filtration. The Fluval FX 4 canister is so tempting, but I'm reluctant to buy one due to stories like yours. In my case it might be better to just add another Aqua Clear 110. Good luck with your O ring problem.

As my cichlids grow the more I feel the need for additional filtration. The Fluval FX 4 canister is so tempting, but I'm reluctant to buy one due to stories like yours. In my case it might be better to just add another Aqua Clear 110. Good luck with your O ring problem.
V227 when I bought my 75 gal tank(complete with cichlids) it came with a FX5 and I loved it but when I rehommed the cichlids after about a year it blew my livebearer fry all around the tank. Never had any trouble with it, so when I set up my 40b I got a Fluval 306 and I can say it's worked flawless for a year so far.( knock on wood.)

I’ve never had a problem with O rings per say but like any rubber seal, they go bad after a while. As mentioned, extra service bits and bobs for the canisters go a long way. Changed an impeller here and there but never any real improvement on the one I already had in.

I’ve been lucky with impellers - seen some broken ones come into shop and I’m just thinking how??

Apart from main o-ring, I’ve also had the o-rings on the pipe inlet/outlet to canister go as well. But setting up sumps looks like a lot of work as well (plus the humidity coming off it inside the wood cabinet).

Love the FX-5 I have 2 now, the last one recently from a guy who bought a bigger tank from CL and it came with it, but already had a FX-6 he loves.

It is tricky to figure it out the first couple times cleaning and then I swear on it being truly amazing. Self primes, and runs a air bubble clear out after starting 5 minutes into running so no micro bubbles or gurgling and really quiet. Using it on a 72G bowfront and soon a 90G bowfront. (FX-5)

Love the FX-5 I have 2 now, the last one recently from a guy who bought a bigger tank from CL and it came with it, but already had a FX-6 he loves.

It is tricky to figure it out the first couple times cleaning and then I swear on it being truly amazing. Self primes, and runs a air bubble clear out after starting 5 minutes into running so no micro bubbles or gurgling and really quiet. Using it on a 72G bowfront and soon a 90G bowfront. (FX-5)

I have a puny 29g. This is way big.

Petsmart has their annual big sale in November. Maybe I'll take the plunge and pickup the FX 4. I haven't had a canister filter since 1992, when I ran a Marineland Magnum 330 on a Discus tank. I remember that one being a little leaky and inconvenient to clean.

The O ring blue's , try putting it in hot water about 30 sec this should be enough to get the O ring to contract so it will seat,

Thanks for the input. This O Ring feels ok. I think it’s about a year old. I may order another.

I have a much newer Eheim Ecco Canister on another tank, and it self primes and is much easier to stop and start and put back together.

I’m impressed my Fluval is such a workhorse. Just this one annoying design flaw.

It was free. So was my tank. And the lights.

Basically I paid for Prime and my fish. So can’t complain too much LOL

I hear wonderful things about the Eheim products overall. I have used the same o ring with my fx-5 - it is 5 years, it feels fine but also maybe need to get a replacement just in case too!

Back
Top Bottom