Octopus NW 150

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicasmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought a new Octopus 150. Just wondering if anyone has used it and if there will be any mods neccesary, as well as pro/cons.

I haven't modded mine at all, and like Thom said I'm running it and love it. There are a ton of mods you can do to it, if you want (google it, there's tons of info), but I've not found a need personally.

Set it up, after about a week of break-in and getting it tuned mine was running great and I've not yet had a single problem with it.

Just turned on my skimmer for the first time and the pump is creating no suction. Its running because the needlewheel impeeler is quite loud. But its not pushing much water or any air. Any thoughts.

Blow in the air inlet tube while it's running. Sounds crazy, but I had to do this whenever I first started it up for a while until the unit got broken in. Blow into the tube to get the venturi started up, and off it'll go.

I don't know for sure what happened, eventually mine just stopped needing me to do this on it's own.

I would just look it over and play around with the impeller, make sure nothing is bent. Check all the "O" rings as well. Inspect the whole pump, if you find nothing wrong, my question lies to the motor in which case you may need to call the manufacturer and who you ordered it from.

LOL, I think Neilan solved it.

LOL I did the same thing at first until I felt stupid then decided to ask yall. Gues I wasnt to stupid. Let the blowing commence. Let you know the outcome if I dont hyperventilate

LOL, I think Neilan solved it.

I've always been told I was full of hot air. I was happy to finally find a use for it.

LOL I did the same thing at first until I felt stupid then decided to ask yall. Gues I wasnt to stupid. Let the blowing commence. Let you know the outcome if I dont hyperventilate

It's not stupid. It is funny though, especially if your spouse walks in while you're doing it. Or even better, go out of town for a few days and let him/her know that if the power goes out, they'll need to do this. I got quite the interesting look when I told mine about it. haha

It doesn't take much to get it going. A little force behind it for a second or two is all it needs to clear that airway and get it started.

started blowing then hooked it up to an airpump but its just blowing out big bubbles. Shouldnt it be chopping them

While you're blowing, and if you really do have it on an airpump, then yeah, it'll be popping out big bubbles. once you get it "primed" let off of it and it should start creating the microbubbles you want.

The forced air is too much pressure and allows the bubbles to get past the needlewheel. So, just prime it and then let it breathe on it's own.

If it's not pumping water and drawing air on it's own, the impeller isn't spinning. Twist off the volute cover and make sure the impeller isn't bound up. Even take the impeller out and make sure it's seated right. You can even plug it in real quick out of the water to make sure the impeller does spin after you reset it.

your right, the needlewheel seems to be doing a stop and go number. not making full revolutions. but nothings stopping it

i figured out the problem. The pinwheel spins freely of the impeller. How can I lock the pinwheel so it spins with the impeller.

Super glue the pinwheel to the impeller. I think that's all that holds it in place to begin with. I would also email the place you bought it and tell them. They may send you a whole new impeller.

Thanks larry, thats what I did. It seems to be working pretty good now. I always use paypal online so I filed a claim with them in case they dont supply a new impeller. Little things $39.95. Thanks again for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom