Overflow always empty - PLEASE HELP. i've tried everything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CircleOfLinks

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

im new to owning a fish tank so please bear with me if i dont make any sense but i'll try to explain everything about the tank and the problem as clearly as i can.

Ive got a mini reef set up with an overflow at the back left corner of my tank which has a standard 25mm whole leading into my sump below.

My tank size is 300L and im using a RESUN SP-6000 submersible pump which apparently pumps up to 3000 l/hours. The exit hose at the pump is no more than 1.4m high in to the tank.

The problem im having is my overflow is always empty (water does fall into it but i can't keep it full). A friend of mine has a similar setup and his overflow is full all the way up to the top (same level as the tanks water). Its very loud and enoying and if its not all the way up that part of the tank would get dirty very quickly.

Does anyone know why and how to fix this problem?

I was told that putting PVC pipe going up would help but the whole point of seting up the tank with the sump is to keep the tank clear/empty without any pipes etc

my friend has tried, ive spoken to aquarium stores and googled the problem and i still can't work it out.

please if some one can help me i would really really appreciate it.

ive attached a photos of the tank with the problem.

pic2.jpg

thanks again in advance

also just incase you guys needed to know its going to be a fresh water tank.

regards

danny

If I understand what you are saying then I would have to agree that adding PVC may be the best idea (you can get black PVC that would blend in.

The whole idea of the overflow is to have the water go into it, then down into the sump. As long as the pump in the sump is functioning (putting water back into the tank), then everything is working fine. Also, if you are having your overflow completely full then what happens when the power goes out? That is a lot of extra water that will drain into the sump until the level of the tank is such that no extra will go in there...

IMO, yours is working properly whereas your friend has a problem. If it is noisy you can also look at adding foam to the overflow box (but again, that is adding something in and you didn't want to do that).

I had the same issue.

I've left my over flow empty and put a thick sponge with large holes in it just to stop the noise and it works perfect.

Only reason why I didn't opt for the pipe was because maintenance becomes harder (you will need to take the pipe out to clean around the over flow glass) the way I've got it I just put my hand in and clean. It's as easy as 123. Also they sponge acts like a 'tiny mini filter swell' which is just as easy to clean. Take it out, was and put back. It's only like an inch high so you can hardly see it and keeps the tank looking good.

Just my thought :)

Danny

Haha, just released I've responded to my own question...

Mmmm that's one for ya

Back
Top Bottom