overflow and return pump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bapski

Aquarium Advice Activist
i know ive read it somewhere but just cant find it.

i have a 130 gallon tank. i have an overflow rated at 1200 gph. what would be the ideal return pump rating (gph) should i get?

thank you very much.

In another post you say you were looking to buy the fuge system with the 1200gph overflow. Have you already bought it?

I'm not really a sump guru, but my understanding is that you will need a pump that can handle 1200 gph at the head you plan to run it at. I've just recently set up my first sump which is running one overflow at 600 gph. After asking around I was told by many people that a Quiet One 4000 was perfect for this application. After set-up it ran perfectly the first time. It's running wide open (have a ball valve in line but wasn't necessary to restrict flow at all) and it keeps up with the water from the overflow.

Again, I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that you have to go with 1200 gph minimum for the given head and the closer to 1200 gph the better. Otherwise the pump won't keep up. On the other hand, if you go too high-powered then the pump will drain your sump faster than the overflows will return water to the sump. In that case it would be necessary to restrict return flow using a valve, but that will shorten pump life and produce noise. This situation can also produce problems with micro-bubbles. Anybody else please feel free to correct me as I'm still learning this stuff too :)

ryguy said:
In another post you say you were looking to buy the fuge system with the 1200gph overflow. Have you already bought it?

yup. just decided to get the combo kit due to pressures to have the aquarium done and ove with as far as equipment goes...

also because i could not find any acrylic tank as you have suggested and i do not trust myself to safely cut glass.

My thoughts are that if you are setting this combo up as a true refugium, 1200gph is WAY too much flow and will end up disturbing the plants and allow little "contact" time for nutrient removal. I would aim more for 500 - 600 gph for a fuge setup. A sump setup, however, would be fine at 1200gph.

You'll find that your overflow will perform up to the output of whatever pump you are using. If you can only pump so much back to the main tank, then you can only have that much water overflowing, because if the overflow was to go faster than the pump. your water level in the main tank would quickly drop below the teeth on the prefilter box and no water would get siphoned out.... and this can't and won't happen. You can have any pump on there you like and the overflow WILL match it (up to the overflows rating of course).

It said it came with a 630gph pump. That will be perfect for the fuge. I wouldn't change it if you are set on having a fuge. It is overkill on the overflow however, but it should be fairly quiet having both those drains and splitting 500 - 600gph flow.

whew! thats good news then! ..

ryguy, thanks a lot man! youve been of good help.. just wanted you to know i still have your closed loop in mind but i will probably be modifying it by integrating a SCWD device.

dunno if i can integrate the device with my return pump as i am thinking this will further (if there is any) restrict my return flow.. any thoughts?

ryguy, thanks a lot man! youve been of good help.. just wanted you to know i still have your closed loop in mind but i will probably be modifying it by integrating a SCWD device.

No prob at all, I like helping when I can.

I was gonna use SCWD's on my closed loop as well, I have never thought much about restriction though. I don't know how fast they switch or the actually mechanics, but I guess it makes sense that they may restrict some flow while they switch.

Back
Top Bottom