overflow/return problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramz28

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 125g fowlr tank and a 55g fuge. I made two 3/4" pvc overflows. I bought a mag drive 9.5 for my return. I used 1.5" pvc for my return. It is also T into my fuge section on the sump with a ball valve. My overflows seem to be way too slow. and there is alot of gurgling noise from the over flows. If i open the ball valve on the return no water flows to the DT, it all goes to the fuge. If i shut it off enough for water flow to the tank it emptys the sump faster then it fills. Should i have used different pipes? or did i do something wrong? any help really appreciated thanks!!
fuge.jpg

Normally the returns are smaller than the drains. In my reef-ready 125 I have 2 corner overflow boxes with 3/4" returns and 1" drains.

The outlet on the Mag 9.5 is 3/4",why did you use 1.5" pvc?

Usually set up that I have seen is that the fuge is fed from the drain line, though in your set up it shouldn't make much of a difference.

You need another ball valve on the return line going to the tank to cut the flow so you don't drain the sump dry.

You might want to look at Melev's Reef - Sumps & Fuge's for some alternate designs for your plumbing.

my LFS told me that the mag pump recommends 1.5" for best flow. I was originally going to feed the fuger from a drain line but i was reading through some forums and a lot of ppl said that i should put my skimmer and drains on 1 side and fuge on the other side and have the pump in the middle to feed the fuge and the DT.

I have fixed the return issue. I switched to a 1" pipe for my return. Everything flows properly and exactly how i thought it should. the only thing is its very loud on the overflow sides. its gurgling i am going to try a mesh screen or a cap with a hole on the vent. any other ideas?

First off, you were absolutely right in using 1 1/2" pipe on the mag pump. Danner, the manufacturer of the pump, regardless of what others say, not having ever checked with danner or read, recommends doubling the size of the return on a mag drive pump. As a matter of fact, the flow charts they include with the pump are based on doubling th size of the outlet. You should have KEPT the 1 1/2 returns and made your outlets 1 1/2" also. All that needed to be done was having a ball valve on the return line and regulating from there. To quiet the outflows build a dorso stand pipe. Cap the pipes with pvc caps with 1 little hole for air drilled in the cap with a small piece of 1/4" airline hose stuck in the hole. If outflow pipes were bigger the water would tend to run down the sides of the pipes and make less noise. Angling the outflow pipes also forces the water to run down the sides of pipe. NO drain lines on tanks or households for that matter are ever completely silent and there will always be some degree of noise.

Thank you for the advice. the tank is up and running again. I thought about redoing the pipe again but everything has worked out now. I have put caps on the drain with a hole and the noise went away. All that is heard now is the waterfall effect and im ok with that.

Hmm, the Danner site does state to use a minimum 1 1/2 inch tubing for the 9.5, 12 and 18 pumps for the greatest flow with least friction.

Back
Top Bottom