Overhanging tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well MDF is pretty strong as well. They use it in kitchens and bathrooms. When treated it is pretty good stuff. I won't knock plywood but people just don't really treat it and it will lose it's integrity under moisture.

Well MDF is pretty strong as well. They use it in kitchens and bathrooms. When treated it is pretty good stuff. I won't knock plywood but people just don't really treat it and it will lose it's integrity under moisture.
Whos they? We use plywood for all quality kitchen and bath room cabinets. Sometimes MDF is used on door facing as its smooth and sprays out nice. Cheap cabinets are particle board. I've left sheets of plywood outside for years in new England weather before they started to rot out. Plywood is extremely resilient to moisture even if left untreated. They use it on new home construction, it can sit in the weather for months before seeing a vapor barrier. Ask me how I know this stuff;)
Ps- no one builds aquarium stands out of MDF, particle board, plywood or pine board.

I was just talking wood. No one said those were used to build aquarium stands. Lol. But I give.

Yeah my stand is just a flat back chest of draws made from chipboard and mdf mix. I've had tanks on it for years and it done ok.

As long as you aren't getting it soaking wet and it's sealed it should be fine and it's strong. Sealed MDF is fairly moisture resistant.....as I was trying to point out it's used around bathrooms and kitchens where humidity is present.....even baseboards butted up to bathtubs..... bathroom cabinet doors.... doesn't warp or twist with temperature and humidity change.

Yeah thanks for your help. Another questiom I have do any of you place a mat between your aquarium and the wood or just put it straight on top?

You could put a mat between them. I believe there is waterproof ones available

Alot of fish tank manufacturers sell stand to a similar design though. These are a couple of examples of the same sort of concept I'm trying to make View attachment 309957View attachment 309958

Just because they sell it does not mean it is proper or well built. Think of all the fish junk the industry sells just to get your money ?
MDF has no place in a fish room or aquarium stand. They use it because of its low cost and the fact that they are selling it ,NOT USING IT.
It will deteriorate over time faster then any other wood[I really don't count it or particle board/OSB as wood]. Americans have become too use to cheap short cuts but are still sour about the poor results they get for it ?:facepalm:
Look inside those stands and see that there is not one structural member....
Not for me or any of my tanks .:whistle:

Is it not good as it doesn't tend to warp as much as natural wood. You cannot also get natural wood in the same size sheets needed for an aquarium stand

You can get a sheet of plywood 5'x12'.. that's a big stand!! These name brand aquarium companies use the cheapest material that will pass a stress test and box it up.. its basic capitalism. I build my stands so you could park a Prius on them if you ever get out of the hobby;)

Back
Top Bottom