Overhanging tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle567

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is my 75 gallon tank. It's sitting on top of a chest of draws in my room. What are people's opinions on the tank hanging over the back like this? 20180803_174051.jpg

Dang bro that's like 3 inches?? And quite a bit of weight in a 75g. My suggestion outside of buying a stand that fits, buy a piece of plywood that's as long and wide as your tank and put it under the tank.

This is my 75 gallon tank. It's sitting on top of a chest of draws in my room. What are people's opinions on the tank hanging over the back like this? View attachment 309937

That is a disaster waiting to happen. All 4 corners of a tank need to be firmly planted on a solid platform or you will cause flexing and stress on the glass. If it were a smaller tank it wouldn't be so bad but you are talking a 75g with around 600 pounds of water in it.

Yeah I'm buying some wood about 18mm thick to go under it tommrow

That is a disaster waiting to happen. Shouldn't put a 75 on anything other than a stand built for that sized tank. Hurryyyy

Brought an mdf sheet 18mm thick to go underneath gonna paint it with some waterproof paint 20180804_132156.jpg

Brought an mdf sheet 18mm thick to go underneath gonna paint it with some waterproof paint View attachment 309953
What is going to hold the wood up where it overhangs ? Just wood alone is no stronger then the glass ? It will bend and deflect easily.
Still no support IMO where needed...
I would not think that alone is much good.
ALL 4 corners need support that goes to the ground and is level.

Alot of fish tank manufacturers sell stand to a similar design though. These are a couple of examples of the same sort of concept I'm trying to make juwel-rio-300-aquarium-dark-wood.jpeg361963.jpeg

Should be fine. You are equally distributing the weight on all four corners of your tank. I would think the main concern of the tank hanging over an edge like yours was is the pressure at the seems of the tank where it's siliconed. As far as the glass itself breaking I don't believe that would happen in your situation. Glass is very strong even when bowed slightly. IMO the wood you got would be supported sufficiently as your tank isn't hanging over enough to break or bend it.

Yeah I hope it'll be fine. I got mdf as I could get it in a thicker sheet. The plywood in the shop only went up to 12mm. I think if I paint the mdf it should be fine

MDF is strong, can't take water. At all really. It will de laminate and lose integrity.

Yeah that's why I'm painting it with some strong fence paint

What?? Where are you getting your info from. Plywood is 100x more resilient to moisture than medium density fiberboard.
I should have explained that better......painted mdf with an oil base, IMO, is better with moisture than your non treated plywood....which most people never treat.

I should have explained that better......painted mdf with an oil base, IMO, is better with moisture than your non treated plywood....which most people never treat.
Meh.. I'd always build anything structurally demanding out of plywood over MDF.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom