Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to prisoner1572 Send a message via Yahoo to prisoner1572
Overheating heater

I am having problems with my two submersible 300w heaters. Both of them never stop heating even on their lowest setting. The shutoff switch seems to be stuck. This is not that big of a problem for one heater since during the winter it won't overheat the tank. The other one would if I kept it in the tank. Is there a way to open and fix these without permanently ruining the water tight seal?

prisoner1572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

How old are these heaters? I was under teh impression that most new heaters failed in the OFF position, not the ON postion. IAre you sure that the heaters are actually producing heat and it's not just an on lamp to let you know it's pluggged in?
If they truly never shut off it's time to get new heaters.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I have yet to own a heater that stays reliable. I don't think the built in thermostats are what you call high quality. They either don't come on or don't shut off. I highly recommend a Ranco Temp Controller. These are very reliable industrial controllers.
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by prisoner1572 View Post
Is there a way to open and fix these without permanently ruining the water tight seal?
I wouldn't even go there. The cost of a couple heaters is relatively cheap when you consider what could happen if the repair wasn't done properly.

I'll also second the idea of an independent temperature controller. I installed a Johnson Controls unit on my two heaters and sleep much better at night now.
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
I found some heater adjustments are back wards, as in counter clockwise for higher temperature. Check the scale if it is then when you think you are turning it down you are really turning it up. As a rule most heaters do fail in the off position, but I've had one cook a Nano tank.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
ezy33 is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, eater, eating, heater, heating, overheating

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com