Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
PC-R lamps, worth it?

I've been looking around a bit for a simplistic and low-cost way to have better lighting in my Biocube 14. Right now it sits as 2-24w PC lamps, one 10000K and the other actinic blue.

Looking around I've come across Nanotuners/Nanocustoms and they seem to have the move solutions outside of removing the top completely and getting something like a Sunpod or some MH pendant to hang. They have a kit to completely convert it to LEDs (great option, but very much out of my price range), add another PC lamp (just not something I'd want to do), and then something seemingly new to me: PC-R lamps.

This is the link to them: Nanotuners.com

If you don't feel like reading something of length I'll give you the shorter version. PC lamps apparently aren't strong because of various reasons, but what they are referring to is lost light within the lamp. They teamed up with another lighting company and came up with these PC lamps with internal reflectors (hence the "R"). Now according to their site, these PC-R lamps put out 50% more light (vs. Biocube 36w stock lamps [36w is for the 29G model]). The don't specify whether this is PAR or something else, but I assume since it is Nanotuners they mean PAR. Evil has said himself that their regular PC bulbs they make are better than Coralife ones, somewhat equivalent to T5's (He's no idiot, just sayin' ). So I can only assume the PC-R's are even better than that

Now my questions is this: The lamps cost about the same as regular ones down where I am, would they be worth it to you? I'm directing this towards the lighting guys mostly. And if so, do you think I could possibly keep lower light SPS near the top?

Thanks for reading my long-winded post guys! (If you made it this far!)
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com