please explain to me THOROUGHLY the difference between LED's, t5's, and metal halides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BenPadelski

Aquarium Advice Activist
Would someone out there please explain to me THOROUGHLY the difference between LED's, t5's, and metal halides. I mean I know what they are and what they look like, but I don't completely understand what they do and what the actual difference is between them.

There are some threads on this forum that cover the pros and cons, but in short;

The goal is to provide sufficient light to grow what you have. It is measured in a value called PAR. Generally, the more the better up to a point.

All lights mentioned can grow corals. Hard corals and clams need more, soft corals and obviously fish only tanks need less.

IMO

T5's

Pros

Inexpensive
Relatively low heat projected into water
Grows most corals

Cons

Bulbs need replacement AT LEAST once a year
They don't seem to project very deep, so in deep tanks they don't work as well
Use high voltage, so some shock hazard
Poor ripple effect
Cannot be dimmed

MH

Pros

Inexpensive
Grows all corals
Penetrates deep
Makes nice ripple effect

Cons

Really heats up the water. Chiller is almost always needed when generating enough light to grow hard corals.
Bulbs need replacement 1 per year.
A bit more dangerous as they get really hot and they have associated transformers that can catch fire.
use high voltage so some shock hazard
Cannot be dimmed

LED

Pros

No heat projected into water
Grows all corals
Easier to hang
Safer as the emitters run on low DC voltage
They can be touched while running without burning yourself
Can be hung right over the water
Last 50,000 hours.
Makes nice ripple effect
can be computer controlled and dimmed

Cons

More expensive
Can burn corals if not used conservatively

In summary, it is important to note how much actual output (PAR) the fixture produces and over what area and at what depth.
LEDs are getting cheaper every day and I believe they will replace both T5 and MH fixtures in the near future. I would never use anything else other than LEDs again.

JIMO, please add comments as needed.

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks for all of that. Now like I said, I'm new to corals, so I'm going to sound like a newbie. But how are LEDs so strong when their wattage is nothing? And I'm setting up a 90 gallon mixed reef hopefully very soon, what light or lightS would you recommend for 48"? I should also tell you I'm looking to spend around $600 and no more than that. I want to figure out something in my price range that I'm going to be happy with till the tank has to go and I won't be kickin myself because I forgot something or I got something I don't need and spent the extra money for no reason. LEDs sound awesome. I just don't understand them.

They work in a totally different manner than t5 or MH. Their efficiency is on the order of 300-400% more efficient with power. Little power is lost as heat compared to MH.
A 120 watt LED designed properly can replace up to a 250 watt MH, maybe even more. There are plenty of 120 watt panels available for under $300. You might use two for your 48" of coverage.

What led fixture do you recommend? so I could grow all or mixed coral including sps. What do you think about the vega from aqua illuminations? Ive been waiting for it to come out so I could watch some videos of them, just can't find any.

Yea what would you recommend? I need to know these things haha. I'll have to do some research and look all this stuff up.

There are panels made here and there are panels made in Asia. Both work. Check the forums for recommendations of brands. I use Chinese panels and have used them for over 4 years. Many on this forum have had good luck with them and they are cheap. Others love the Radions, but they are more on the high side. Wattage counts. If they say a 30 watt led light will grow coral in a 55 gallon tank, they are meaning soft corals at best.

Ok, I have 2 tanks. One is a 4 bulb T5HO covered one that used to house my reef. It is not an over priced FOWLR. I upgraded everything for my 55 reef. I read and researched for what seemed forever.

The problems with T5 and MH, that I found is that they truly aren't cheap. Replacing bulbs every 6 months is best practice, with these bulbs costing you about 200...which is what it cost me to upgrade the bulbs for my 4 bulb unit! Then there is the heat. MH obviously has heat under their belt. But depending on the T5's and how close they are to the water surface there can also be heat issues. The tank with my 4 bulb always ran hot until it was no longer a reef and I started only running the actinics on it...because it looks nice.

Now for my BFF, LEDs. I'm running 2 Radions above my 55 gal reef. They pack a punch. I'm still fine tuning their intensity and the more I adjust the more I go down. Peak is 80% power currently, but not for very long at noon. It keeps my SPS happy though. Why do I run these expensive powerhouses? Because at the time nothing else does what they do. For some things, that is still the case...BUT man, if there were dimmable taotronics LEDs at the time I would be rocking those above my tank. They are cheap and do the job.

How many would I need for a 6ft long tank. Everybody tells me three but I have a middle bracket that may cut out a big part of the light. And do you think it will grow sps?

The taotronics will grow sps. I have no doubt in them. And you'd need 3 for 6 ft coverage even with the bracket. Running 2 would not give full tank coverage.

So 2 of them would be fine for 48"? And your saying by buying 2 of those $189 fixtures, I'll be absolutely fine with those? All for $400? Really....

I'd put money on it. There are many members that use them over their tanks. Just for whatever reason they haven't been posting much this month. There is usually quite the backing when I make this statement.

Back
Top Bottom