Pool sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful, looks super. All that washing of sand is defo worth it in the end. Amazing how some sand can change the whole look of a tank.....(y)

Guess its kinda too late now but do some research. There's pros and cons to using silica sand. Most noteable cons I read about are diotomes, algae problems, and eventually the "dirt" sticks to it so it'll look dirty no matter what you do with it.
But some people like the "natural" look.

Guess its kinda too late now but do some research. There's pros and cons to using silica sand. Most noteable cons I read about are diotomes, algae problems, and eventually the "dirt" sticks to it so it'll look dirty no matter what you do with it.
But some people like the "natural" look.

Wow thanks bro, well wen I read about if the pros out weigh the cons then i will keep it but if its the other way around i will change it tomorrow ,that's gudlooking on the heads up

I've made the same mistake and listened to the girl working at pet smart and put a 40lb bag of argonite sand into my gold fish tank. D'oh!
But all is well my ph went from 7.5 to 7.6-7.8 and it looks real nice.

I've made the same mistake and listened to the girl working at pet smart and put a 40lb bag of argonite sand into my gold fish tank. D'oh!
But all is well my ph went from 7.5 to 7.6-7.8 and it looks real nice.

I take the point but i believe if you keep good cleaning, filter and PWC routines, you won't have any issues. I have kept sand for years, mainly in goldfish tanks and have never had any problems. I always use cheap play sand. Your tank looks great by the way.....

Like everything else some people hate it and some people love it. Just making sure home boy over here weighs out both sides of the argument. I'm sure you can give him tons of pros for silica sand, I just decided to go with pool filter sand after I researched what to go with for my 90 gallon which is gonna be the new home for my goldies.
And thx! I know its just a starter 20 gallon but it has taught me a TON on proper fish keeping.

Thx. Don't mind the nylon bags in the corner. I'm seeding bio balls and ceramic rings to kick start the cycle in the 90 gallon and ran outta room in the can filter.
PWC= partial water changes, just a lingo
And get some trumpet snails. They eat waste that sits on the sand and burrow through it so you dont end up with gas pockets.

Sure will just not gonna be for another month. Right now me and the Mrs. are thinking about moving to a bigger place so I'm putting off setting it up till we make up our mind. And I'm still researching every little detail for it. Right now I'm hung up on where to drill the tank for the sump and its driving me up a wall. Even though I was against it in the beginning I think I'm gonna end up covering the back with a frost liner that I can accent with some multi colored LEDs and drill the top back for an overflow box and have the return go straight into a couple o loc line nozzles. If only they made clear loc line parts.

I can personallg say that, as a person that cant afford to pay firsthand fullprice for everything, that pool filtef sand helped save me alot of money. Its an easy way to save a decent amount of money and im glad to see you went this route.

Sure will just not gonna be for another month. Right now me and the Mrs. are thinking about moving to a bigger place so I'm putting off setting it up till we make up our mind. And I'm still researching every little detail for it. Right now I'm hung up on where to drill the tank for the sump and its driving me up a wall. Even though I was against it in the beginning I think I'm gonna end up covering the back with a frost liner that I can accent with some multi colored LEDs and drill the top back for an overflow box and have the return go straight into a couple o loc line nozzles. If only they made clear loc line parts.

That's sounds like it will be a supa nice tank

Back
Top Bottom