Powerhead problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can anyone tell me HOW you get your powerhead suction cups to stay stuck to the wall of the tank? I have having the worst problem with the PH's falling. I have scrapped the tank wall, cleaned the suction cups, bought NEW suction cups, on and on and they still do not want to stick. Any secret?

I hold them in place for 10-15 seconds, works about half the time. I've heard of people having good results using half of a Mag-float to hold PH's in place. It's an on going battle for me too.... :roll:

I just replace the suction cups every few months. The SW really causes them to harden and crack.

You need to be ceative :)

I use the hook that comes with Maxijets. I have a canopy so I can't hook it on the lip though. If you have installed blinds in a house, most come with a plastic piece that holds a trim piece on - I never use them for the blind. They fit pretty good on the tank lip and it has a little hook on it that I use zip tie on to hold it to the maxijet hook.

You could easily use a small piece of acrylic and bend it to make an L, then use the weight of the canopy to hold it in place. A drilled hole and a zip tie will do the rest.

BTW, when I use the Maxijet hook, I also use the 3 suction cup with it. You can slip the hook in the PH and then zip tie the suction cup to the base of the hook. The top of the hook sits right underneath tank lip.

I can take a pic if needed tonight. This is not perfect because the PH will tilt down a bit and if the suction breaks, they will move a bit but it does keep the PH from hitting the sand bed. We all know that sucks!

You can use your power cord to hold them up as well. Pull your cord taught and zip tie it to something. Then when your suction cups fail your cord will still hold it up.

I'll try and get a pic tonight.

The power cord trick works too but with using the hook and the suction cups, the PH stays in place with no suction cups attached. With just the power cord holding it up, the PH will most likely blow in a different direction.

I love zip ties :)

Ok, here are the pics. Nothing fancy but it works.

Attachments

• mount1.jpg
    mount1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 63
  • mount2.jpg
    mount2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom