PowerHeads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nsu7

Aquarium Advice Activist
In a FO setup:

1) What are the pro/cons if any to using the venturi system on full effect (lots of bubbles)

2) Is there a necessity to have a timer for my PHs? (I have a Hagen 70 and am getting a ZooMedic 228.)

#1 for some reason you arent supposed to have air stones in SW. I am thinkin this is the same with your venturi.

#2 no its not a necessity.

Thanks.

Anyone else have any further guidance about airstones/venturi directly in SW tanks?

In an FO system there won't be any real harm but the use of bubbles in a SW system isn't effective. Bubblers and the like do not actually aerate the water. Gas exchange occurs at the surface so the entire area needs to be constantly aggitated, not just one area. Bubbles also make an annoying mess as they cause salt creep just about everywhere.

You are much better off using a powerhead or two aimed near the surface and skipping the bubbles. Much less mess and much more effective. You might like the look of the bubbles but I guarantee, you'll hate the mess it creates.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks. I haven't been able to aim the PH to the surface, and I noticed the air bubbles agitated the surface. I suppose I could just use a 45 degree elbow fitting. But for now I am going to use this setup as a wavemaker:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/surgewavemakerdiy/l/aa092499.htm

While I'm on the PVC subject, is PVC cement really safe in SW? I found <<these>>

I ended up with a different product from the same company when I went shopping at Lowes this morning, "Medium Lo-V.O.C. clear cement". I emailed them, but based on my email experience with the lava rock(still haven't heard back...) I doubt I'll get a response. Any one have any insight to the difference/safeness of the stuff they sell in the pet stores to "Medium Lo-V.O.C. clear cement". On the label is says reduced solvent emissions.

TIA

Edit: I just read on my cement it says schedule 40 & 80 for potable water. So I guess the real question is what do these schedules have to say about the issue...

Back
Top Bottom