Protein Skimmer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CubanReefer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I am a newbie saltwater guy and I am just about done cycling my 55g tank. I want to have softies, LPS and fish eventually, but at the moment, I have a nice LR aquascape and nothing else. :D

My questions are... I just got a protein skimmer (Hang on Back Reef Octopus BH1000 - since I don't have a sump) and I am not sure if I want to install it now towards the end of the cycle, or wait a few more weeks? I just got my diatom bloob a few days ago. Also, I am assuming that I want to fill it up with saltwater prior to installing since I'm adding volume to the tank?

Any help you can provide would be extremely appreciated!!

Thanks,
Jorge

Yes, fill it with saltwater and I would go ahead and start it. They can take a while to break in properly and I don't see a downside to starting now.

If there isn't any livestock there won't be anything in the water for it to skim out...but it will need to be broken in. Start it up, just don't expect it to do anything until it is broken in.

Back
Top Bottom