QT Tank Set up (For new fish)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can you tell me what you use for a QT set up? I have the following:
-heater
-Via Aqua pump (small for circulation)
- 2 x HOB filter (use biowheel for bacteria growth)
-10-12 big peiced of PVC for bacteria growth

I normally soak a large peice of spounge in my sump for 2-3 weeks before I start my QT Tank. In the past I have added only 1-2 small fish after letting the QT system run for about 3-4 days. I have added the fish in the past and had major issues with it starting to cycle. What am I doing wrong? I really had issues when I set up my QT for my main tank that had ick. I had 4 fish in the 30 Gallon QT and had to do 2 water changes per day just to keep the fish alive as the ammonia was climbing every day. And no I didnt feed a lot.
Do you use the HOB biowheel? What would be causing my QT to cycle? Please post any suggestions. I have read where most people on here run their QT tanks very easily and low maintance.

I'm only runing freshwater now, but I use a simple sponge filter with a good air pump, and a heater. I cycled it fishless using the "feed invisible fish" method. I do have problems with ammonia/nitrite spikes when I medicate the tank, most medicines are harsher on your biocycle than they claim to be.

When empty, I add a pinch of food at least once a week to keep the bacteria alive in there.

How large is your QT?

The QT is a 30G long. I had problems whether I medicate the tank or not...I am thinking that the HOB bio wheels are collecting gunk and messing up my water parameters. Or it could be the spounge from my sump...once you put the fish in the QT tank, do you leave the spounge in there?

All QT tanks have NH3 and NO2 issues. Poly filters and regular WC's is the best way to lower levels. additives like prime and amquil also help in extreme cases.

Maybe that's another diffrence between saltwater and freshwater. I don't have NH3 or NO2 issues in the QT. I get plenty of nitrate, since I don't have any plants up there. Regular water changes keeps that down.

Back
Top Bottom