R.I.P Fluval 404 .. You done good!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcolon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I knew this day would come:(. It was inevitable:banghead:. My trusted Fluval 404, what single handedly filtered my 75gal for almost two years was on it's last flow. For the past couple of months I've had to cajole, MacGyver and Jerry-rig it to work properly. It was a hand-me down from my brother in law and it sat for years with gunk and junk before I resurrected it.

But, plastic around the impeller cover clips housing kept getting worn and soon, one end of the impeller cover kept coming lose. Rattling and some leaking (O-ring's still as good as new)was the first signs. Then the flow would sputter and one day a couple of months back, I came home to find it wasn't moving water. The impeller was humming, but no flow. Replacing the impeller cover bought me some extra time, but as of last night it was like:deadhorse:.

My inexperience with it the first few months of this hobby probably didn't help as I removed the impeller cover numerous times. Each time I just helped wear away the plastic.:facepalm:

But that's in the past:dance: We must look forward(y) I found one on CL and was excited!! Only to find it was an older/different 404 with a different impeller design:facepalm:. Ugh! Who knew:blink:. At least the person I bought it from is real nice and taking it back. BUT all was not lost! My wife got am email last night with a $10 off petsmart coupon (with a $40 purchase) so I took it as a sign from the heavens and got myself a Fluval C4 HOB. I actually wanted an AC70 but they were out. So now I have the C4 and my son's old marineland HOB ... both stuffed with the foam sponges and ceramic rings from the 404 ... running.

Please join me in a moment of silence for F-404. You done good. The pearly gates of filter heaven await you.:angel:

OOPPS! Ugh sorry MODS ... meant to put this under hardware discussion. I guess I was too emotional:bawl:.

Lol....on the bright side you got a C4. I love mine

So far so good, my Bamboo shrimp seem to take a liking to it. They are now perched on the Hidden LED lights on the left side of the tank where I have the C4 running. The output of the 404 was on the right side. This is good news because that at least means my foam pads and ceramic rings still have bacteria and other microbes.

Back
Top Bottom