Raising 55gal tank to create airflow underneath?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got a 55gal tank off CL, ended up having to reseal it cos it had a leak. Currently doing a leak test (At the couple inches of water in the bottom stage.) I was thinking, and realized that all my other tanks are on wire stands, and the one time I had a tank on a flat surface (a table) when I finally moved it there was mold&mildew underneath (From spilled water doing changes and whatnot).

I've got some sections of wooden 4x4 I could put under the edges of 55 gal, so it wouldn't be sitting flat on the stand and could get some air circulation underneath and dry any water that creeps under. If the 4x4s are under the entire front and back long side, and the short sides have like 6 or 8 inches of unsupported open area (cos the 4x4s will come in a few inches of course), will this be ok in a full tank? Or does every inch of the trim need to be supported for a secure tank?

So I got a 55gal tank off CL, ended up having to reseal it cos it had a leak. Currently doing a leak test (At the couple inches of water in the bottom stage.) I was thinking, and realized that all my other tanks are on wire stands, and the one time I had a tank on a flat surface (a table) when I finally moved it there was mold&mildew underneath (From spilled water doing changes and whatnot).

I've got some sections of wooden 4x4 I could put under the edges of 55 gal, so it wouldn't be sitting flat on the stand and could get some air circulation underneath and dry any water that creeps under. If the 4x4s are under the entire front and back long side, and the short sides have like 6 or 8 inches of unsupported open area (cos the 4x4s will come in a few inches of course), will this be ok in a full tank? Or does every inch of the trim need to be supported for a secure tank?
Hi, i assume the 55 is going to be on a wooden stand??. If so i would just put it on without the 4x4's. If you worried about water spillage on the wood, i would use some good outdoor(waterproof) varnish the top of the stand to seal it. The water won't be able to penetrate the wood. IMO you would be better having the whole tank resting on the stand...
Also if possible, i would move the tank to a garage or shed and fill it completely to check the seal. There will be a lot more pressure in a full tank and then you'll definitely know that it's secure. It's better than it leaking in your house....

I'm going to move it into the shower tomorrow after my partner showers in the morning, and let it sit full all day for the full tank leak test. I'm in an apartment, so there's no garage or shed.

The table the smaller tank was on was well sealed, and the water did not damage or penetrate the table, but the water did stand long enough for mold&mildew to form, because there was no real airflow underneath the tank, but there was enough room for water to get under. I'm not worried about damaging the wooden stand, the stand is crap I intend to replace as soon as possible. I'm just trying to avoid mold&mildew growing in my home, and the only way I see to make this happen is by somehow creating airflow under the tank.

I'm going to move it into the shower tomorrow after my partner showers in the morning, and let it sit full all day for the full tank leak test. I'm in an apartment, so there's no garage or shed.

The table the smaller tank was on was well sealed, and the water did not damage or penetrate the table, but the water did stand long enough for mold&mildew to form, because there was no real airflow underneath the tank, but there was enough room for water to get under. I'm not worried about damaging the wooden stand, the stand is crap I intend to replace as soon as possible. I'm just trying to avoid mold&mildew growing in my home, and the only way I see to make this happen is by somehow creating airflow under the tank.
Good idea on the shower!!. I understand your concern on the mold/mildew but i have never seen anyone raise their tanks like that. Personally i wouldn't do it, for fear of creating weak points in the tank.. Sorry i couldn't be more helpful

Back
Top Bottom