Sorry posted in the wrong section.
This will be my first sump/refugium build before I continue my SW
My goal for this sump/refugium is to:
1. Add more water volume
2. Refuge area to grow floating plants (my fish is tearing up all plants) and possible inverts/fish.
3. Better biological filtration
4. Faster maintenance of filter pads. For my canister filters, I have to disconnect it from hosing, take the whole system out of my stand, disassemble the unit, and I rinse the pads. Its a long process and I would like to clean the filter pads more often in between weekly water changes.
1. This setup does add more water volume.
2. It has an area for floating plants, fish, and inverts.
3. Wet/dry filter provides better biological filtration (plants help too).
4. Compared to canister filter, this setup is very easy to clean during weekly maintenance. All I have to do is take out the filter pad (located above the bioballs) and rinse it. I can even do it easily 2-3 times per week without stopping the flow.
I was thinking about adding an algae scrubber into this system, but it will be difficult to fit everything under my stand. Its also more maintenance than taking out the floating plants.
What do yall think about my idea? Its a 40g sump/refugium.