Reef octopus diablo skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondatek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Which is better for optimal skimming. Having the water level closer to the max line or the minimum line ? Is it minimum line for watery skim and Max line for dry skim?

As long as you're within the water line, you should be fine. I think it's between 8-10" if it's an in sump skimmer.

What affects the consistency of the skimmate is not the water line, but how dialed in the valve is on the skimmer. A dryer skimmer with the gate valve open, a wetter skimmer with the gate valve closed etc.

As for optimal skimming, as long as you top off your water to keep the waterline where it should be, and dial in your skimmer to give you a decent skim you'll be fine. It takes time to find the right setting (more wet/dry etc). Leave the skimmer alone overnight and see how you like the skimmate produced. Adjust as needed and test overnight again and so on until you find the consistency you like. I like mine on the dryer side with only a bit of water collected. Not sure how it's "supposed" to be but i like the results i'm getting.

Ok thanks for the detailed reply. I am at the end my cycle so I will have to wait until my fish are in there to really get it dialed . I was just curious as this is my first in sump skimmer.

Hondatek said:
Which is better for optimal skimming. Having the water level closer to the max line or the minimum line ? Is it minimum line for watery skim and Max line for dry skim?

I say somewhere in the middle is good. I keep my reef octopus little below middle. I like dryer skim which is towards the minimum level. Wet skim would be towards the top. Wet will fill up pretty fast and not be as dense skimmate. Dry skim will take over a week maybe 2 to get good amount in collection cup but will be very stinky skimmate. You will be very happy with reef octopus.

Make sure you keep your sump level consistent. This skimmer is pretty sensitive to water level changes the skimmer sits in. When I turn my return pump off and water back drains into sump I have to unplug skimmer because it will overflow.

Ok it's in my first chamber so the evaporation won't mess with the level . Only if I loose power but then the skimmer will be off as well. I'll remember to unplug when I do water changes.

Good deal. Sounds like you have right setup.

image-1709071395.jpg

This is only 3 days of skimmate. I did do major cleaning of tank tho yesterday so that could have some effect on how much was produced. Oh and did I mention I love this skimmer.

Is there any way you can post a pic showing your water level in the skimmer? I have almost a quarter inch of brown liquid in mine in a week while cycling.

Your skim will definite be different then mine. Your tank brand new as well as skimmer being new. It takes week or 2 to fully break in. I also have 8 fish in a 90 gallon with 55 sump. Been running for 6 years. So can't really compare skimmate. But trust me it is a good purchase. I started off with a seaclone 150. Only have had reef octopus for about 3 months.

image-2542121820.jpg

image-2541777137.jpg

My water level now is right where it starts to turn brown. About 1 inch above minimum water level. Although it usually is about 1 inch above that. I had to Lower it due to major cleaning and skimmer went crazy. So my usually water level is 2 inches about minimum water level give or take a little.

Ok cool thanks man. I know it will take a while for mine to be nice and dirty . I just like to know everything ahead of time .

Yeah, you'll love your octopus skimmer. I love mine. Works like a horse. What kind of model did you get?

Back
Top Bottom