refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ektorgt

Aquarium Advice Regular
could somebody explain me what a refugium is and how it works and what is it for because ive been reading about making an aquaclear 500 filter into a hang on refugium but i have no idea what it does to the tank or how it helpsss...
thank youuuuuuuuu

a refugium is an isolated area where natural live foods like coepods and amphipods can reproduce without the interfearence of predators. Also a place to put live sand and to keep macro algae(and mangroves) where it cannot be eaten.Larger refugiums can house other critters like mantis shrimp and sea horses(if large enough).

They also help in the reduction of nitrates, the main reason I have them on my tanks.. LS can be left out and LR rubble is also a good idea for them if you have room

Refugiums are a great tool if you are serious about keeping a good looking tank. They help keep the water levels good and I noticed a large change in the overall quality of the tank when I installed my HOB model.

thanks everyonee....

alright so ill buy an aquaclear 500, some live rock and live sand and dump it int there and thats it.... ill have a refugium which will improve the water quality...fair enough

your going to want the macroalgae or caluerpa if you really want to inprove your nitrates. LR and LS alone in a fuge that size wont do much.

Check this Aquafuge out. This is the one I have on my 72g. Holds 5g, I think, and it's the largest one they sell. And like Seaham 358 said, a small fuge won't do much for your tank.

i agree you can spend 10-40 bucks more and get a ready to go HOB fuge... im getting the large one for my 75g

Back
Top Bottom