Rena Filstar Xp1 or Xp2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cronos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon tank running a penguin 170. The water seems a tad cloudy. Small white particles floating about. I have 8 guppies, 4, platies and 7 ghost shrimp. The tanks is four weeks old. I am thinking of getting a canister. Would you reccomend the xp1 or xp2? How much can the flow rate be reduced? I will eventually be upgrading to a 55 gallon tank in the future. Would the xp2 be too much for the 29 gallon tank in the meantime? Also, in terms of noise are these canisters quieter than HOB's?

IMO..I would recommend neither... If you want a "GOOD" canister I'd go with a Fluval. And as for noise compared to HOB filters.. Not all HOB's are noisy. However, Canisters are pretty quiet for the most part.

I have a xp1 and it works wonderfully in my 30 gallon. The flow rate can be slowed quite a bit, however, you may find that the flow fits your needs when you use the spray bar. There's a bunch of plumbing included with it so you can configure it to fit your needs. My canister is no louder than my old HOB filter it replaced. (I heard fluval were noisier :p )

Just an FYI, do not pay more that $65 American for it.

if you plan on upgrading to a 55g soon, you should go ahead and get an xp3. not that much more than an xp2 and still suitable after the upgrade.

Thanks everyone for your input... I ended up getting the Filstar Xp2 canister filter. It works great and the water looks nice and clear. When I get the larger tank I'll get the Xp3 for it since I may very well still keep the 29g tank. Hehehe... Having two tanks can't be that bad. :wink:

Heh, you people are nuts. I run an XP 2 on a 75 gallon tank...more than enough filtration. I can only imagine a 30 gallon...the fish must be blown all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom