Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland6543

The Rena markings do not show anywhere on my box or filter. The only viable branding is API.
That really is a change. My filter was branded as a Rena. I just can't believe that API would realistically save the company money by packaging an excellent filter without any real protection. The cost of filter returns and loss of some customers seems like an odd business strategy.

As long as the filters stay high quality I'll order another one for my next tank. If it comes in broken I may change my mind. This is sad news.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae
I just can't believe that API would realistically save the company money by packaging an excellent filter without any real protection. The cost of filter returns and loss of some customers seems like an odd business strategy.
I totally agree. Frankly, it would be a dumb strategy. I've sent API an email with a copy of my Amazon review. I'll let you know what happens.

75g Freshwater Tank (48 x 18 x 20); Fluval 404 + Marineland HOT 250 Magnum + Marineland Emperor 400B Filters; 2 x 300W Heaters; Brown gravel, Plastic + some live plants, Large rock and wood decorations; 2 x 24" 24W Aqua-Glo tubes 14hr/day; Fish - Semi Aggressive
Roland6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yep definetely not straight from amazon. I bought a marineland penguin 350 filter off of amazon and shipped from amazon themselves and here's how mine arrived.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120902_190655.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	116297

Name:	ForumRunner_20120902_190807.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	116298

I'm glad they replaced it for you, but then again you got another one with damage. If I am buying anything brand new I expect to get it with zero damage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120902_190610.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	116296  
Old 09-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland6543 View Post
The Rena markings do not show anywhere on my box or filter. The only viable branding is API.
mine was purchased last year I just mentioned that simply because I was a little surprised. I guess they were making the association way before I realized. I needed water conditioner and didnt have alot of time, but I quickly went into my LFS, and while there I mentioned in. the guy opened the box up and showed me the insides, and it was packed like we all would expect it to be.

yours definitely made a pitstop or went thru drop-shipping or sometihng
Old 09-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdebb
the guy opened the box up and showed me the insides, and it was packed like we all would expect it to be.
Thanks for checking. Was it the new branding with only API and no mention of Rena?
75g Freshwater Tank (48 x 18 x 20); Fluval 404 + Marineland HOT 250 Magnum + Marineland Emperor 400B Filters; 2 x 300W Heaters; Brown gravel, Plastic + some live plants, Large rock and wood decorations; 2 x 24" 24W Aqua-Glo tubes 14hr/day; Fish - Semi Aggressive
Old 09-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

What might be happening is a broker is buying seconds, and returns of these filters and wholesaling them threw a vendor or maybe several threw Amazon. A returned filter would partially explain the lack of proper packing, and damage. Just a theory
Old 09-03-2012, 03:36 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland6543

Thanks for checking. Was it the new branding with only API and no mention of Rena?
If I'm not mistaken it was API branded
Old 09-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

I love these filters but as I said earlier I got mine some years ago and my xp3 was only 89.00 and now they are asking 100.00 for the xp1. Inflation or not I think that kind of a price jump is crazy. They are great filters, mine are probably 5 years old. I have replaced the "O" rings in all of them once since I got them and they are all still in service now. When I boulght mine the packaging was all styrofoam shaped to fit tight around the canister and all of the attachments were in their own container and stretch wrapped so they could'nt roll around in the box. I think the one person here is correct when they said that these could be seconds and/or returns being resold. That's a shame they have to take a good product and run it into the ground like that.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

On a final note, I sent API an email detailing the issue I had. They have had the email for 2 weeks. No reply. So, even if the package was repacked by a third party, the absence of any form of response be API suggests that their customer support is NOT good.

The filter......? Running along very nicely. Priming is super easy. Quiet. Flow is good, even with all the chambers full of media.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland6543 View Post
On a final note, I sent API an email detailing the issue I had. They have had the email for 2 weeks. No reply. So, even if the package was repacked by a third party, the absence of any form of response be API suggests that their customer support is NOT good.

The filter......? Running along very nicely. Priming is super easy. Quiet. Flow is good, even with all the chambers full of media.
I had better luck calling them directly as opposed to email. They were very helpful. Glad the filter is working well for you. I really like the Filstar XP filters.

Tags
filstar, media, rena, xp3

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com