return pump ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leesanhua

Aquarium Advice Freak
can i use a minijet as a return pump? it only handles 159 gph.
the overflow box has a max of 600 gph.
my sump will be 2 to 3 feet below the main tank. will the mini jet work?

No. The Minijet has a shut off head of 46". Although it might flow some water at the height you mentioned, it won't be enough to make a difference. You really need at least a Mag 5. I have used a Maxi Jet 1200 as a stand in when my regular return pump died, but even that didn't produce much flow.

As logan suggested a Mag 5 - 7.5 would work for your overflow. As most tanks have a head height of 4' even the mag 7.5 would push only 600GPH or a little less at that head height. If your not fimular with how pumps respond to head pressure as the pump has to push the water up aganst gravity the pump becomes less effective and thus the flow rate thru the pump is lower the higher the water has to go. A pump that might push 750GPH at 0' head might only push 600GPH at 3' head due to this head pressure. Every pump will respond somewhat differently to head pressure but most manufacters have general guidelines on how specific models fair on average to different head heights.

I have a Mag 7 and I can't even hear mine in the sump at all.... :wink:

FWIW I wish I would have gone with the mag 9....

so many bubbles created from the return pump to the main tank.
what i did wrong?

Do you have a baffle in there or something to make a bubble trap?

As the water comes into the sump or out of the skimmer it will make bubbles. You need something in between were are your bubbles are and your return pump. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom