Return Pump & Parts Help !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JsQuid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone, my project is coming together well. I'm now currently working on solving the return plumbing. I have a Mag 7 and I would like to know exactly what parts I need to have maximum flow returning back to the DT. I would also like to use a Y Loc Line with two flare nozzles? So I need help developing a parts list in order to make this happen. As far as the PVC size, Loc Line Size, any and all fittings needed. Thanks!

If you're wanting to hard plumb the lines (which looks the best IMO), I'd do a 3/4" thread to slip adaptor coming off the pump to your PVC to a true union gate valve. (I'm pretty sure that the return for a Mag 7 is 3/4" male thread. Run your PVC to your return point however you need to, and then to a 3/4" PVC to 3/4" locline adaptor which will then go to your wye, to the loclines to the nozzles. (One piece of advice, use unions to simplify breaking things down in case of move, redesign or whatever.) Smaller diameter does NOT equal more powerful water movement at the end of the run, so use the biggest diameter you can for your pump.

I bought my locline components from savko.com. They had the best pricing I could find. I will say two of my four nozzles were backorders, and took about an extra month to ship, and they didn't really communicate that they were backordered, but were still being sent. I was just charged for the two I got, and there was no explanation given. The others just showed up later.

Is there anyway you display a photo of some sort that way I will have a better idea? So I need a loc line adaptor to adapt to the PVC & then the loc line itself. That's ten connected to the two flare nozzles?

For a mag 7 it is recommended to increase output pipe diameter from the 1/2" mpt to at least 1" or larger for maximum flow. Take that up to the tank. After that you can divide into whatever you want.

Also, if you plan on only a few nozzles get the largest loc line you can get.

So I need to make the connecting PVC from the Mag 7 1 inch PVC. Then run that all the way up to the display tank, then can I some how make it back to 3/4 inch ? This is what I have so far. I'm trying to make it work with the items listed here? How would I go about doing this? http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/checkout/cart/

Sorry it isn't pulling up my account. It's 2 3/4 inch flare nozzles, 3/4 inch male adaptor thread, 2 loc line hoses, and a 3-4 inch Y loc line...and a 3/4 inch gate valve..

Yes. Though I would recommend two 3/4" nozzle outputs from the 1" if you want maximum flow.

So like T off the end of the 1" with a 1" to two 3/4 in the tank with two separate 3/4" loc line adapters. You can loc line y split off each of those if you like.

Sorry, could you explain a little more thoroughly. I think I have the idea, but still a little confused.

Sorry it isn't pulling up my account. It's 2 3/4 inch flare nozzles, 3/4 inch male adaptor thread, 2 loc line hoses, and a 3-4 inch Y loc line...and a 3/4 inch gate valve..

After the 3/4 male adapters the rest is up to you really. Flare nozzles or not. You could replace the 3/4 male adapters with the ones 3/4 mpt ball valves as well to control output on each line individually. But that is all personal preference.

Right now I have my 1" output with just a 1" PVC elbow in my tank. I didn't bother with loc line yet. Extra expense for me that I didn't need at the time. I may add it in the future though.

2 1" elbows creating a u over the rim of the tank. Tank side you go down into a 1" to 3/4" T. Then from there you can go with 3/4 PVC horizontally and then loc line or just loc line right off the T.

1"
|
3/4---3/4

I did 1/2" due to the size of the outputs on my return pumps. You can't quite see the locline adaptor, other than as a black piece right below the elbows:
41906-albums2492-picture53206.jpg

(What lookslike a white pipe in the water is actually a reflection of the PVC elbows above.)

That then goes to a locline wye, with each leg going to a locline "hose" to a flare nozzle.
41906-albums2492-picture53199.jpg

(Only one of the four flare nozzles was installed when I took this shot.)

Looks nice ! I notice your water level seems higher than your overflow box? How did you do that?

Too much flow from my return pumps compared to what my overflow drains can handle. I've since tuned the system so my pumps are throttled back. My Aqueon 3000 ball valve is probably at 45 degrees while the Rio 2500 is not quite fully open. I might have also been trying out a Durso modification at the time which also limits flow through the overflow.

Oh okay I understand. I should be starting my plumbing next week. Just have to finish up the order from BRS and go to Home Depot.

I'm going to be using "flex pvc" to plumb my system. Should I use 3/4 inch or 1 inch flex tubing to run off my mag 7. That way it won't be too strong in my 40 breeder?

And also, which type of gate valve would I need to use to make this work? This is for the return to display, the drain will be 2.5 inches. There is about 3.5 ft of head.

Back
Top Bottom