Return Pump help Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonathan G.

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a catalina 2200 right now and i don't know whether it's me or not but it has progressively gotten louder over the past few days. My wet/dry has a max flow of 600gph and i have a 75 gal tank. what would be a good replacement for my pump that has around the same gph flow rate. i believe the catalina is rated 800gph at 0'ft

i don't know the catalina, but i started with a little giant pump. It was LOUD! I couldn't take it. The tank is in my living room with hard wood floors and an open back stand, so that didn't help.........but i couldn't take it. I went with a QuietOne pump and it is much quieter. I still don't think its quiet enough, but you may want to give it a try. It can be submersed in the water or used externally. They are also pretty cheap. Check www.thatpetplace.com, drsfostersmith.com or perhaps one of our sponsers.

Jim

How many feet of head height do you have? Once you know this you can better fit your pump needs. From the sounds of it you want a Mag9.5

4ft from the sump to the top. I have a 150 gal rated wet/dry but only a 75 gal tank so i dont want anything that would be considered overkill. Im thinking either the rio 2100-2500, or the mag 7, or the quiet one 3000. anyone have any suggestions or advice.

I use a rio 2100 as a return pump from my fuge. I got the following Numbers from the box. I hope it helps in your decision. I dont know what the output of the catelina is to compare.

2100- 692gph output 375gph@4ft
2500- 782gph output 529gph@4ft

Mag 7 is an awsome pump. Any MAG is a good quality pump. Better than RIO but thats just my personal views.

What is the capacity of your overflow? When you say your wet/dry has a max flow of 600GPH do you mean that is the capacity of your overflow feeding the wet/dry?

A mag7 is rated at 480GPH at 4' head. While the mag9.5 is rated at 800gph at 4' head you could throttle is somewhat with a ball valve.

The quiteone3000 appears to output just under 600GPH at 4' head just as a frame of reference with the other pumps.

Back
Top Bottom