Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2004, 11:55 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I don't know if that switch is going to work for you indy.

The switch appears to be designed to work with a filter that is attached to a holding tank. How it works, is the water supply line passes through the "valved" set of connectors on the switch. The filtered water line connects to the "straight through" set of connectors then to the holding tank. When the holding tank gets full, preassure builds up in the tubing and triggers the switch to shut off the supply line. If you're planning on using this filter to directly fill your aquarium, you need an eltronic float switch and a "normally closed" solonoid. The float switch goes in the aquarium. When the water level drops, it turns on the soloniod which opens the water supply line to your filter and the filter then fills your aquarium

Old 09-24-2004, 05:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have this float switch mounted inside my fuge to build pressure on the shutoff switch. It should work the same as the float valve built into the storage tanks. thanks for the info on the lines tho' that's what I've been looking for.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...rtial&Np=1&N=0

Old 09-24-2004, 11:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Indy, this is how mine is connected to the RO unit. The line that goes to the external faucet (not shown), is where I have my stuff connected. Like I said I use the tank and keep it filled. The Auto-Shutoff works fine in this case.

Mike
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 11:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The upper right T fitting on the top filter has one line going to the tank (not shown) and the other is going to my set up (not shown). I do not use the last filter on my system. It is suppose to make the water taste good, but I don't think the fish really care how it tastes...LOL

HTH

Mike
Old 09-25-2004, 09:43 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the help. I've tried setting it up a couple different ways and it still has bugs in the system. I can get the water to shut down in the sump, but the RO keeps pumping water out of the waste hose. Thing's driving me nuts.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:48 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You have to have a certain amount of water pressure for the auto-shut off to work properly. This is your "house" water pressure. If you don't have the minimum pressure to your house then I think you need to purchase a "booster" pump that they also sell. Are you on well water?

Mike
Old 09-25-2004, 10:25 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

If the waste water is still being produced, then the shutoff is not getting enough back pressure to stop the water or it is not hooked up right. Even with bad water pressure, it will eventually reach the shut off pressure. I use a booster pump on mine and I shut the booster off and then close the valve of the RO/DI output. After a few minutes, you can hear the water has stopped running and the shut off has done its job.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:36 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thats right, Ellisz, you got the same setup. If I rember right, you do not use the tank either. The tank thing works out good for me thats why I use it.

Mike
Old 09-25-2004, 12:25 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Sparky,

After reading about your setup, I like it What is this electronic switch you have? The way mine is setup, I just use it to fill other containers. One less step would be nice.

PM me details if you think it is unrelated to this post.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2004, 05:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use a resistive relay on a float that has a switch. No voltage at the switch just continuity when the level drops. I used to use probes, but I didn't want to have the SS probes in the water all the time. Mine is an industrial type setup and if I didn't get the parts for free I wouldn't have it. Total cost of that setup would be around 275.00, and I know you could find something suitable for alot cheaper, and I mean a lot. I use a simple Asco valve to turn on the water and turn off the watervia the resistive relay. It is located no where near the aquarium itself. I have mine run pretty far. Someday I will move the whole unit closer to the aquarium. Right now it's a good 40 feet, running under my crawl space (the hose), the rest of it (the RO unit and hardware) is in the laundry room...LOL

Tags
auto, stall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com