RO Auto shutoff switch install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought an automatic shutoff switch to plumb into my RO unit. Ebay guy said a float switch won't build enough pressure without one to shut of the RO unit. Unfortunately, the install instructions make no mention of where it is to be installed. I emailed him telling him so and asking for clarification on the switch. He replied by sending the same set of instructions, so way to go on reading your emails Mr. RO guy.

The switch has 4 holes for tubing, apparently 2 in and 2 out. 1 set is a straight pass through, the 2nd set seems to hae valving or something in it. Anyone have any words of wisdom on this?

hmmm automatic how? it's not a float? do you have a link for the ebay auction? (or a brand name?)

Is it AquaSafe Canada? If so I got one and it is an automatic shut-off (when the
storage tank fills up). It does require pressure to activate the Auto Shut-off valve.

HTH

Mike

This valve is entended for a closed holding tank. When the tank gets full backpressure causes the valve to close. I saw these when I was investigating RO units. Didn't seem to have a place in my set up. I believe these are more for under the sink units for drinking water where you need pressure to dispense the RO water. My RO water goes into an open top drum with a float type electric level switch. The float switch is wired to a solid state relay that turns on a solenoid valve to supply the RO unit with water. I suppose you could wire the solenoid valve right to the float switch. They are usually rated for plenty of amps to do the job, I just didn't want 110 volts so close to my water supply. Another option is to use a low voltage transformer and a low voltage solenoid valve to lower the risk. There are many ways to do this.

I have one on mine and I just use a manual shut off for mine and not the storage tank. When I am done filling up my containers, I shut off the valve and as the pressure builds up, the auto shut off pictured cut the water off.

That valve comes standard on the 100 GPD systems that Aquasafe sells. Check out one of those and I believe there should be a pic. I could take a pic of mine at home if needed.

This is going to be plumbed straight into my 'fuge, no storage tank. I have a non-electric float switch going in that shuts off water flow when the float is up. Ebay add said the float switch will not generate enough pressure to shut off the RO unit without the switch.

Sparky, it is an aquasafecanada filter. How did you plumb the swtich in?

I use the holding tank. But what I do is instead of using the faucet that comes with the unit I use a electronic flow switch and valve to shut off the flow to my sump. The flow to the sump comes from the holding tank. I have mine set so that when ever I get about 3 gallons low it will open the valve and empty the holding tank yo my sump. The holding tank holds a little more than 3 gallons of RO water. Then after the tank empties, it will fill back up and when the pressure in the tank reaches the the amount it should, it will shut off the RO unit with the switch provided.

In short, I set mine up as if I was going to put it under the sink. I just replaced the faucet with my setup to fill my tank. Pretty simple actually.

I don't think I'm getting my question across. My RO unit didn't come with the switch itself installed. The entire unit is plumbed together with another valve where the switch should be I think. I can't tell from the pictures which line goes into which side of the switch and the instructions read as if the switch is already installed. From the look of the shipped unit I can turn the water off manually, but I need to get the switch in place. Below is what the auction posts and what I have. If you could take a look at yours and tell me which colored line goes where I would appreciate it. From the switch itself, 1 side has in and out marked on it, the other side has no markings.
auto%20shut%20off0001.JPG

I don't know if that switch is going to work for you indy. :(

The switch appears to be designed to work with a filter that is attached to a holding tank. How it works, is the water supply line passes through the "valved" set of connectors on the switch. The filtered water line connects to the "straight through" set of connectors then to the holding tank. When the holding tank gets full, preassure builds up in the tubing and triggers the switch to shut off the supply line. If you're planning on using this filter to directly fill your aquarium, you need an eltronic float switch and a "normally closed" solonoid. The float switch goes in the aquarium. When the water level drops, it turns on the soloniod which opens the water supply line to your filter and the filter then fills your aquarium

Indy, this is how mine is connected to the RO unit. The line that goes to the external faucet (not shown), is where I have my stuff connected. Like I said I use the tank and keep it filled. The Auto-Shutoff works fine in this case.

Mike

The upper right T fitting on the top filter has one line going to the tank (not shown) and the other is going to my set up (not shown). I do not use the last filter on my system. It is suppose to make the water taste good, but I don't think the fish really care how it tastes...LOL

HTH

Mike

Thanks for the help. I've tried setting it up a couple different ways and it still has bugs in the system. I can get the water to shut down in the sump, but the RO keeps pumping water out of the waste hose. Thing's driving me nuts.

You have to have a certain amount of water pressure for the auto-shut off to work properly. This is your "house" water pressure. If you don't have the minimum pressure to your house then I think you need to purchase a "booster" pump that they also sell. Are you on well water?

Mike

If the waste water is still being produced, then the shutoff is not getting enough back pressure to stop the water or it is not hooked up right. Even with bad water pressure, it will eventually reach the shut off pressure. I use a booster pump on mine and I shut the booster off and then close the valve of the RO/DI output. After a few minutes, you can hear the water has stopped running and the shut off has done its job.

Thats right, Ellisz, you got the same setup. If I rember right, you do not use the tank either. The tank thing works out good for me thats why I use it.

Mike

Sparky,

After reading about your setup, I like it :) What is this electronic switch you have? The way mine is setup, I just use it to fill other containers. One less step would be nice.

PM me details if you think it is unrelated to this post.

Thanks

I use a resistive relay on a float that has a switch. No voltage at the switch just continuity when the level drops. I used to use probes, but I didn't want to have the SS probes in the water all the time. Mine is an industrial type setup and if I didn't get the parts for free I wouldn't have it. Total cost of that setup would be around 275.00, and I know you could find something suitable for alot cheaper, and I mean a lot. I use a simple Asco valve to turn on the water and turn off the watervia the resistive relay. It is located no where near the aquarium itself. I have mine run pretty far. Someday I will move the whole unit closer to the aquarium. Right now it's a good 40 feet, running under my crawl space (the hose), the rest of it (the RO unit and hardware) is in the laundry room...LOL

Back
Top Bottom