Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2004, 02:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

RO question

I was looking at RO /DI filters on ebay from filterdirect and I think i'm gonna get one, Ive never used one and i'm getting one in an attempt to control my brown algae. One of the filters on ebay is 90 dollars, and one is 115. The difference between the two is the $115 one includes a faucet adapter and pressure tank, what is the pressure tank and do i need one for my aquarium? Also are there any additional items i would need to make this work?

Also when looking through i saw this one for $130 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...307762791&rd=1

it is a 'pro' one but only 5 stages 50 gpd. Which one is best suited for me, I only have a 72g tank, and usually do 10% water changes biweekly so i don't need alot of water.

Links:
$115 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...306929531&rd=1

$90 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...306930281&rd=1

Old 06-14-2004, 03:13 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The one for $130
Stage 1
With only five micron rating. It is effective in removing
dirt, rust and sand particles.
Stage 2
Chlorine and Volatile Contaminant Reduction. The GAC improves
taste and removes chlorine, chloramines, odor, dirt and rust.
Stage 3
Provides effective filtration to protect your membrane.
It provides for improved membrane performance up to 95% of TDS rejection.
Stage 4
Reverse Osmosis Membrane:
thin film composite (TFC) high quality membrane that processes 50 - 70 gallons
per day. It remove the following hard water contaminants that may be present
in your water: lead, cooper, barium, chromium, mercury, sodium, cadmium,
fluoride, nitrite, nitrate, and selenium
Stage 5
Final Stage in-line carbon improves the taste after the water has been in the storage tank

A 5 micron filter is huge. I would prefer to see a 1 micron sediment filter. then a 1 micron carbon filter. Then the RO unit. Stage 3 on that unit appears to simpliy be another sediment filter. The carbon after the RO unit is useless except it removes the metalic taste from the water stored in the pressure tank.

The pressure tank is of no real use unless you want to use it in aid of an autotop off.

The second unit is 100gal a day so it will process teh water at rate of 2X the first filter.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 03:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

so are these RO units bad then because of the 5 micron deal or are they still considerably better then using plain old tap water and chlorine remover.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:55 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The RO filter is definatly better than regular tap water. When time comes to replace the cartrages you can change the old ones out with newer 1micron filters.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com