Seachem salt mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
Seachem Marine & Reef Salt Mix

Decided to go ahead and give this salt mix a try, the reef salt mix. I've had great luck with seachem products so I have no doubt in it. Has anyone actually heard anything good about it or used it? I see it says:

"It is specifically formulated for the reef environment and will provide ideal seawater concentrations of magnesium, calcium, and strontium with proper alkalinity and pH for closed reef aquarium systems."

Does that mean I won't have to worry about the calcium levels if I use this salt mix or the PH level?

Steve

lol, mostly all of the salt mix brands say things like that. Its just a marketing strategy. I mean, there definitely are other brands of salt mix that are higher quality. Also, what you can do is try the salt mix, and test for all of the above and this way, YOU can be the judge of what they claim. ;)

Ah guess I never really noticed before lol. Well the only other brand of salt mix I've used is the instant ocean brand salt. I figured I'd give something else a try. Must be something different about it though compared to the regular salt mix seachem makes.

Steve

True. Still, why not just give it a test yourself right? I will probably do the same thing you have and get different salt mix and see which ones seem to do the best. Really the only way you will ever know which ones work the best for you right? ;D

Every tank and stocking will make the effectiveness of the salt mix vary. i.e. a softie dominated tank won't need nearly as much calcium as an LPS / SPS tank. We had great results from Oceanic, but changed because we got some free salt with a tank purchase. Free = good to me. ;)

Seachem also has a new product on the way.... Aquavitro Salinity. It's supposed to have batch specific guaranteed analysis.

As I said I have always been a seachem man all the way, I especially love the chemical they make called Prime so that's why I figured I'd give it a try! :) I'll let you guys know how it works out. I just wonder if it really will set my PH and calcium levels.

Steve

I absolutely swear by Prime for FW.

yep, test driving the salt to find which best suits your system is the only way to go.

I started out with a bucket of intant ocean then a second my tank was a fowlr then and I had purple coraline everywhere, then oceanic had a new salt mix I used 7 buckets by this time I had a mixed reef and no coraline after the switch, next seachem came out with the reefsalt after 3 buckets tank looked the same as it has for several years, I needed to do a water change for some reason and didn't have enough reefsalt to make it and oceanic was available at my local fish store so I bought a bucket and after 2 weeks my sps had grown over 1/4" and colored up greatly, I don't dose my tank and have not changed any lighting or anything that might explain the change, needless to say I am back with oceanic. I have 4 other tanks and the reefsalt is the favorite of my macro/seahorse tank. So I guess it does depend on the tank itself, try different mixes until you find the right one for yours.

Back
Top Bottom