Seaclone vs Prizim P Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john0087

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone have any thoughts. I am on a budget, but my tabk is only 37 gal, so I think one of these two skimmers should be ok. Both are rated for 100gal.

Thanks

Actually I was scared off buying either one just because of all the reviews I read about them online. The Seaclone got only an ok rating and the Prizm was much worse. I think it depends on what you are planning to put into your tank. I was in the same boat as you but seeing as I wanted a reef set up (and, so I'm lead to believe, need a very good protein skimmer) I went with the Aqua C Remora. From what I know (and it's not much) the Seaclone is kind of particular to get going but once you do it's does a decent job.

Here are the cheapest links I could find online:

http://www.aquariumguys.com/seprsk.html

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4400&inm=1&N=2004+113771+113565

Check some online reviews though, including other forums. What I heard wasn't a complete deterent but wasn't too inspiring either. I am hoping that buying one for twice as much is worth it in the long run.

Good luck!

I was skeptical about purchasing the seaclone skimmer, and it was skimming fine for me in less than 2 days. So far, its been everything I've hoped for, and more. :)

I went ahead and got the seaclone. I figure an ok skimmer is better than nothing, especailly with a tank as small as mine. Its been up for 24 hrs now and is starting to skim.

Thanks

Go to RC and search for the mods for the Seaclone, it will make the most out of it at least and they are not very intrusive modifications.

As for the Prizm, the subject here says "Prizm P Skimmer" and if you were instead referring to the Prizm Pro skimmer, that does a pretty good job. It is the standard Prizm skimmer that earns the poor reviews.

I have a prizm skimmer. It does, in my opinion a good job for 85 bucks that I paid for it off ebay. I just added a 6 line wrasse today and a firefish a few days ago, we will see if it starts skimming even better. The major problem with the prizm skimmer is that it's hard to get it to skim properly. However, since it's been broken in for 2 months and I did a few minor mods, I now get a nice thick brown stinky skimmate from it. I empty it weekly when the cup is about half full.

IMO I think the prizm does an adequate job, however I would use it on a tank 40 gal or smaller.

If you can afford a better one I would say go for it, but if you really are on a tight budget the prizm does the job.

Also, I have read the pro does a fine job. You stated that you guys are going to have a sump? If so I would not use a HOB type skimmer, there are some very nice in-sump skimmers with nice price tags out there.

Darn I was too late. I was gonna say, what's your budget? Because I know where to get new CPR Bak-Pak 2R's for $104, and it's way better than a SeaClone and way way better than a Prism.

But at least you didn't get the Prism. :)

Back
Top Bottom