Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Seaclone vs Prizim P Skimmer

Anyone have any thoughts. I am on a budget, but my tabk is only 37 gal, so I think one of these two skimmers should be ok. Both are rated for 100gal.

Thanks

AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

FISH
1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Inverts
Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Actually I was scared off buying either one just because of all the reviews I read about them online. The Seaclone got only an ok rating and the Prizm was much worse. I think it depends on what you are planning to put into your tank. I was in the same boat as you but seeing as I wanted a reef set up (and, so I'm lead to believe, need a very good protein skimmer) I went with the Aqua C Remora. From what I know (and it's not much) the Seaclone is kind of particular to get going but once you do it's does a decent job.

Here are the cheapest links I could find online:

http://www.aquariumguys.com/seprsk.html

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...+113771+113565

Check some online reviews though, including other forums. What I heard wasn't a complete deterent but wasn't too inspiring either. I am hoping that buying one for twice as much is worth it in the long run.

Good luck!

Old 10-26-2005, 07:14 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I was skeptical about purchasing the seaclone skimmer, and it was skimming fine for me in less than 2 days. So far, its been everything I've hoped for, and more.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I went ahead and got the seaclone. I figure an ok skimmer is better than nothing, especailly with a tank as small as mine. Its been up for 24 hrs now and is starting to skim.

Thanks
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

FISH
1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Inverts
Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Go to RC and search for the mods for the Seaclone, it will make the most out of it at least and they are not very intrusive modifications.

As for the Prizm, the subject here says "Prizm P Skimmer" and if you were instead referring to the Prizm Pro skimmer, that does a pretty good job. It is the standard Prizm skimmer that earns the poor reviews.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I have a prizm skimmer. It does, in my opinion a good job for 85 bucks that I paid for it off ebay. I just added a 6 line wrasse today and a firefish a few days ago, we will see if it starts skimming even better. The major problem with the prizm skimmer is that it's hard to get it to skim properly. However, since it's been broken in for 2 months and I did a few minor mods, I now get a nice thick brown stinky skimmate from it. I empty it weekly when the cup is about half full.

IMO I think the prizm does an adequate job, however I would use it on a tank 40 gal or smaller.

If you can afford a better one I would say go for it, but if you really are on a tight budget the prizm does the job.

Also, I have read the pro does a fine job. You stated that you guys are going to have a sump? If so I would not use a HOB type skimmer, there are some very nice in-sump skimmers with nice price tags out there.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Darn I was too late. I was gonna say, what's your budget? Because I know where to get new CPR Bak-Pak 2R's for $104, and it's way better than a SeaClone and way way better than a Prism.

But at least you didn't get the Prism.

Tags
seaclone, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com