Short term power loss solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IndyReefMan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was at Best Buy last week shopping for Christmas gifts when I ran across a battery pack device that is meant to run a computer and monitor during a power loss. It was $150. It looks like a CPU and it has 6 outlets on the back that you can plug into. It will power the devices that you plug into thru the unit and if it detects a power loss, it will automatically shift over to a battery back-up that is installed in the device. I thought that would be great to have to power my reef tank's powerheads and heater in case I lost electricity to my home. The device is supposed to power a computer and monitor for over 1.5 hours with the battery. You can also purchase a second battery to run in series and power the computer and monitor for 3 hours. If it can power a computer and monitor for 3 hours, I think it should be able to power a heater and four powerheads for at least that long. I just thought that I would share that with other AA members as a short term power loss solution.

you must have been looking at.. uninterruptable power supplies (UPSs) These work great, we use them at work all the time on lots of different things. But because they run on a battery they will only be a short term fix. depending on which one you got, it should hold the power for a couple of hours. and if you decide to just run the important stuff that you really REALLY need, it may stay on a little bit longer. They are a great idea!!! HTH!!

Yes. I live in Indianapolis and we rarely lose power and when it happens, it's usually for an hour or two so I think this should work nicely. Not like when I lived in Florida when 3-5 hour power outages were almost a daily occurence.

Back
Top Bottom