silence this overflow box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbird745

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:snipersmile:I have an Eshops overflow box and the thing will not stop gurgling. it keeps me up all night. ive tried a piece of airline in the return but the current moves it or it gets sucked down and stuck in one of my 90's. please shut this thing up.

don't use the sponge,keep your pump filter clean.what gph pump are you using and what gph overflow are you using?Mines the 800 and is nice and quiet,no sponge just some guaze over the box to stop snails,just a slight running water noise.

I think it's the 800 im not sure on my return but I know my overflow drains faster than tge return last I checked

This works great.
overflow-sm.jpg

I think it's the 800 im not sure on my return but I know my overflow drains faster than tge return last I checked
This is why you've got all the gargling,your return pump isn't man enough for that overflow if the overflow is draining quicker than the return,what pump gph are you using?is the pump being throttle down?has the pump got a flow restrictor on it if so is it fully open.

I have ball valves on both for adjustment I believe my return is throttled down I'm not sure on the gph of the pump

I have ball valves on both for adjustment I believe my return is throttled down I'm not sure on the gph of the pump
You dont need a ball valve on the gravity pipe to the sump,keep this fully open or remove it.Open the return pump valve until the gargling quietens a bit,then using some 1/4 " internal diameter hose or pipe,slide this down the pipe going down to the sump until the water level in that section of the overflow box starts to rise,keep lowering the hose/pipe until that water level is around 1/4" below the water level in the first section of the same box(the overflow box out side the tank)this should now be totally silent.

I did this last night and now my box is the quietest its ever been!!!

Back
Top Bottom