Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newg4
I love my FX5!! Only thing I would suggest is to look into building a spraybar. There are a ton of how to videos on YouTube. There are also a lot of threads on this site about FX5 spraybars. Good luck!!!
+1 sounds cool. My fish love the flow just from the 2 nozzles.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:02 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you for the info! I currently have a spray bar on the cascade I'm running. Trying to figure out what the best set up is, using both filters. filter on each side of tank with intake and outake on each side. I'm thinking spray bar on fluval might be better than the one on cascade so maybe use other outlet on cascade or spray bar on both? I have black tahitian moon sand and the cascade spray bar doesn't seem to keep it clean enough.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

The FX5 has all the foam on the outside of basket for mechanical and that leaves you alot of room for bio material, I use 1 tray polishing pad 2 trays full of matrix. I like the polishing pad but it cloggs fast, they make ones that are not so fine or you can cut foam or whatever you want to use for mechanical, it is a great filter.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

I've been using the FX5 on a 150 gal Dwarf Cichlid/Community tank and it rocks!

I fill all three baskets with Biomax Bio Rings. On the bottom basket, I place 'one' Fluval Water Polishing Pad on top of the Rings. This is a white pad not a blue pad.

I'm cleaning it about every six weeks. Still figuring that out. Last time I did it at four weeks and it didn't seem that dirty. YMMV
Old 03-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardynas
I've been using the FX5 on a 150 gal Dwarf Cichlid/Community tank and it rocks!

I fill all three baskets with Biomax Bio Rings. On the bottom basket, I place 'one' Fluval Water Polishing Pad on top of the Rings. This is a white pad not a blue pad.

I'm cleaning it about every six weeks. Still figuring that out. Last time I did it at four weeks and it didn't seem that dirty. YMMV
I use those on top of the bio balls. There was a guy here that hadn't cleaned his in 2 years that its been up. That's crazy.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by boadams87 View Post
I use those on top of the bio balls. There was a guy here that hadn't cleaned his in 2 years that its been up. That's crazy.
Are you using a pad on each basket (3 pads) or just one pad on one basket?

I've heard people say they can get clogged up using polishing pads. That's why I only put one in (white pad).

If I can go longer without cleaning that'd be nice. Maybe I should be thinking in terms of months instead of weeks.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Are you using a pad on each basket (3 pads) or just one pad on one basket?

I've heard people say they can get clogged up using polishing pads. That's why I only put one in (white pad).

If I can go longer without cleaning that'd be nice. Maybe I should be thinking in terms of months instead of weeks.
On the btm I've got ceramic rings , 2nd rack I've got bio balls and a blue pad top has balls floss and polishing pad. I know its alot but I like sparkling water. I opened it today and replaced the top pad after 2 mths. Rather nasty but everything else was good, so I may wait longer next time unless I notice a decreased flow.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by boadams87 View Post
On the btm I've got ceramic rings , 2nd rack I've got bio balls and a blue pad top has balls floss and polishing pad. I know its alot but I like sparkling water. I opened it today and replaced the top pad after 2 mths. Rather nasty but everything else was good, so I may wait longer next time unless I notice a decreased flow.
So you have three pads in your FX5? Heck, I think I'll try two pads next time. I was afraid it would clog up.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

So you have three pads in your FX5? Heck, I think I'll try two pads next time. I was afraid it would clog up.
Yes plus floss in the btm tray to. I haven't noticed a decrease yet!!

Tags
fluval, fluval fx5, fx5, tips, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com