Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like to use the rings. They aren't always necessary but they serve a purpose.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I thank all of you for your input. I think I'm gonna do 1 tray with the rings and leave the rest with poly floss/filter floss and the sponges.

Looks like after doing a lot of reading and research that the XP is gonna win. Most likely the XP3 but I do see a XP4

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
Well I thank all of you for your input. I think I'm gonna do 1 tray with the rings and leave the rest with poly floss/filter floss and the sponges.

Looks like after doing a lot of reading and research that the XP is gonna win. Most likely the XP3 but I do see a XP4
Yeah I was gonna say for you African tank xp4 would be the way to go and on amazon it's just a few bucks more.

Personally I do use the stars and the ceramic rings I don't see any problem taken them out though.

Also the first sponge on top I have replaced with the filter floss pad from intank that I use for my BioCube just cut to fit. It works great!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait54

Yeah I was gonna say for you African tank xp4 would be the way to go and on amazon it's just a few bucks more.

Personally I do use the stars and the ceramic rings I don't see any problem taken them out though.

Also the first sponge on top I have replaced with the filter floss pad from intank that I use for my BioCube just cut to fit. It works great!
I think I'm gonna do that! And trust me I have cases of that stuff from inTank for my cube as well. My thinks I'm nuts. I literally have 4 cases in the closet!!!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

I think I'm gonna do that! And trust me I have cases of that stuff from inTank for my cube as well. My thinks I'm nuts. I literally have 4 cases in the closet!!!
Yeah I've fallen in love with it I need to go ahead and order a bunch too
Old 10-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Eheims are both the Cadillacs, Jeeps, and Hummers of the canister filter world. I have been nothing but impressed with all of the Eheims I've experienced, and have never heard anything bad about them.

Also, my Rena tried to electrocute me once. I don't trust it
Old 10-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem
Eheims are both the Cadillacs, Jeeps, and Hummers of the canister filter world. I have been nothing but impressed with all of the Eheims I've experienced, and have never heard anything bad about them.

Also, my Rena tried to electrocute me once. I don't trust it
Next tank I get ima try to get an ehiem I've heard wonders.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
I have a question and didn't feel like starting another thread.

Do you REALLY need the ceramic bio media etc or are the sponges enough? I'm just kinda brain storming about a new canister since I'm really not pleased with the one I have. I'm leaning towards the XP3

Can I just use the sponges? In the Fluval I only have one rack with bio media everything else is empty and of course I have the stock sponges.

Your thoughts?
here's how I use it.

1st basket - 20 PPI foam x2, followed with 30 PPI foam x2, basket cover
2nd - ceramic rings, carbon bag, basket cover
3rd - I stuff this basket with 100% poly ( filter floss) , then top it off with the micro pad, basket cover.
I've always used poly and most times when cleaning the canister I only replace the poly and micro pad. Everything else is rinsed and reused.

Tags
canister

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com