Stands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrMalta

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I have a 36 gallon wooden stand that I bought from Big Als awhile back. I'm not upgrading to a 75 gallon - can I just put a piece of good hard wood on top of my current stand to increase the length of it without having to spend the money to buy a bigger stand? Will it be strong enough?

Thanks.

Can't tell for sure, but I would say you are risking disaster. The base may be able to carry the extra weight, (you will be doubling it) but it will be unstable. I don't like the idea of a stand that doesn't have a base at least as big as the base of the aquarium.

i have to agree with Bill on this one.... i HAVE seen some really cr*ppy stands holding some very beautiful tanks... its just not something i would do. im not saying you fit this case, but i would absolutely construct or buy a stand that was designed for a specific tank size.

most of your weight sits on the ends/edges of your tank. even a 3/4" piece of plywood would most likely bow under the pressure of a 70 gallon tank, putting undue stress on the seams. It would also be top heavy. Like the others, I would purchase or build a stand to fit the tank.

Buy the correct size stand. If you cannot afford it look for a used tank on Craig's list. It seems to me there are always 75g tanks available in my area on crags list.

Back
Top Bottom