Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Stupid acrylic tank business called crazing.

I bought this tank off craigs list. traveled 4.5 hours to get it and brought it home excited the whole way. I've got about 475-500 in it now counting gas and what not. Last night when we were unloading it i noticed all these micro-fractures in it. I thought i had done my research about polishing acrylic tanks and what to look for since this is the first ive ever owned. I guess i was wrong, i didn't even know "crazing" was a thing until this morning. I have some pictures, i need some experts to please tell me if this thing is worth polishing out or if i should just use it for firewood. (I heard they are very flammable this morning as well haha.)

I can deal with the crazing being there you can barely see it with the tank filled. I set it up on a nice level pad last night and filled it no leaks or bowing. Its 73x30x18 with 1/2 inch acrylic panels. it has an overflow in one end but has never been drilled. I believe it may have been in a dr office and might have been cleaned with windex or something but i tried a section and it got crystaly clear with just novus 3 and 2 so it will definitely clean up.

Just tell me if this things going to explode or not.

55 gallon for scale

and these are the edges with the crazing. All edges look crystal clear except the bad spot pictured.

and the bad one, right front center bottom.

it holds water fine with no bowing that i noticed. ive read this is very common and i can say i will never buy another used acrylic tank i will stick with what i know and thats glass. im sick at my stomach now because i thought i finally was going to have a big tank and now i think its just trash.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #2

friend of mine that owns a local pet store came and took a look at it. he said he wouldn't trust it in his house but then he tried to buy it from me so i cant really say i trust his input. He might be trying to slip it out from under me cheap so hes telling me its a terrible pos.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Stupid acrylic tank business called crazing.

Nice friend....

If he has expressed an interest in it, it's for a good reason.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSIII View Post
friend of mine that owns a local pet store came and took a look at it. he said he wouldn't trust it in his house but then he tried to buy it from me so i cant really say i trust his input. He might be trying to slip it out from under me cheap so hes telling me its a terrible pos.
If heís trying to buy it from you, itís because he knows crazing of acrylic is a normal thing. Most likely your tank is going to hold water just fine. Iíve bought, sold and/or installed hundreds of acrylic tanks since going into business 30 years ago. Donít give up on it. Use it.

Dick

At home on land or sea.
Amphibious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrylic, led, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com